GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the Phoenix area members. Any recommendations who should replace your tires? I got a quote from Western for $410 plus tax on Bridgestone G709 and G704, which does not sound to bad. I'm planning to do Bridgestone. This will be my first tire change.

Thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The last time I did the tire replace thing (about 10,000 miles ago), I got the best price from Cycle Gear in Phoenix (on Cave Creek road). You might give them a try. Canyon Honda was second and Western Honda was highest.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
AZRider said:
For the Phoenix area members. Any recommendations who should replace your tires? I got a quote from Western for $410 plus tax on Bridgestone G709 and G704, which does not sound to bad. I'm planning to do Bridgestone. This will be my first tire change.

Thanks for the advice. :)
I had a set of Pirelli Route 66's put on my Shadow Sabre (before I got the TiWing) at Champion Honda in Mesa. They put the front tire on backwards. Believe it or not, that makes a huge difference in the ride and handling. I've been looking for some other place to go in the Phoenix area, so I'll keep these recommendations in mind when it comes time to put new shoes on my TiWing.

matt
http://www.thesabrehood.org

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anybody ever go to D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe.

Their prices seem pretty good and they have more after market parts, for the Goldwing, than Canyon Honda.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll be looking for the same thing in a couple months (guesstimate).

I have heard that The Motorcycle Shop in Mesa has a good reputation. They work on Wings, I've been there and like what I saw. I was told by the manager there, that you can watch them every step of the way. Another place with a good rep is D&D in Tempe.

After experiences with the Honda shops, and inept "mechanics" there, I will go to one of the above places.

An exception to Honda Dealers: I hear that Cochise Honda in Sierra Vista is reliable.

Mike

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
D&D has a very good rep in the goldwing community. I've only been there to look around so I have no first hand info.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've had good tire prices at Apache, Cycle Gear and North Valley Honda. Had installs at Cycle Gear (take your wheels off yourself) and Apache. Apache will mount and balance for free if you buy your tires from them and bring in just your wheels off the bike, and they have GWRRA and other club discounts.

I had rear spring replaced at D&D, no other work, they did a good job, seem very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you don't mind riding down I-10 a ways, you might check into Arizona Honda in Tucson, or Cochise Motorsports in Sierra Vista. They've both done me good on prices in the past.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
AZRIDER does not mention if the tire & wheels are on or off the bike at the price quoted.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback guys. The quote I got from Western was bringing the bike in and they do all the work. Though I don't know if that included stems. I'm just down the street from Motorcycle Service Shop, don't know why I didn't think of them earlier, but I will check there prices with wheels on the bike and price with wheels off. $300 seems to be the common best price for these tires and if I take the wheels off myself and pay $25 plus per tire for mount and balance, it's almost worth the extra few dollars to have the dealer do it all and then they back it up if there is any problem. Though, I do my own oil change, etc. and have not had a need to take the bike to the dealer these last two years since new, I would hate to break that bragging right to my other bike manufacture friends. :wink: Well anyway, I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had D & D in Tempe install Bridgestone G709 and G704 right before Labor Day. If I remember correctly I was charged 383.00 including the tires, new stems, mounting and balancing. I just brought the whole bike in so the price even included them taking the wheels off the bike and reinstalling them. I thought the price was good and so is their service. They specialize in Gold Wings and always have a great selection of aftermarket goodies.

Try 'em...you'll like 'em.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stopped by D&D this morning to check them out. I was impressed and decided to go with them. Have an appointment to take my bike in next week and for $365 total including stems, seems like a great deal. Thanks again for the recommendation. :D

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Good to know...moving back to the Tucson area in 2 years...time to retire...Yes i'm a Tucson Native...along with my Dad...Grandfather...etc. Can't wait to get back to Mt Lemon...lol...it's a first love thing... :lol:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
Can't wait to get back to Mt Lemon...lol...it's a first love thing... :lol:
I grew up at Swan & Broadway when Country Club was the eastern edge of town.

You will be disappointed in Tucson, Mt Lemmon and Sabino Canyon when you return. Tucson looks like a dirt poor Mexican village compared to Phoenix and suburbs now. Traffic volume is 50 times what you remember but still on the same old streets. I was down that way yesterday and the normally clear skies were smoggy. If you haven't visited in a few years you will be astounded at the foothills (all of them) which are now covered by houses. Very little open area left - even out by Collosal Cave.

Mt Lemmon was denuded by that huge fire several years ago. Most of Summerhaven is still in ashes but some rebuilding is taking place.

Sabino Canyon was severely flooded last summer by extremely heavy monsoon rains which washed all the fire debris from the mountain top down the canyon. Most of it is closed pending repair.

While it will always be home to me I wouldn't want to move back.

·
Registered
406 Posts
D&D on McClintock in Tempe is my first choice for anything....Motorcycle Service Shop also good people and good service. Other than that....can't vouch for anyone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In the PHX area.D&D Discount Motorcycles in Tempe.Anything I can't do, my bikes will only go to D&D for mechanical/service work.For any warranty work it would be Western Honda,and they are not the selling dealer.
Mel & Mark are great people to deal with no BS,and their prices are difficult to beat. Just my two cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts