GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sory, I didn't find what I was looking for using the search feature.

I don’t see any recommended preload settings in the manual for riding solo & with passenger and luggage.

I’m just looking for some sort of starting points since I’m brand new to wings.

I’m a lightweight at only 150 lbs. My wife is a little heavier than that but I cannot say exactly how much without great risk to my personal safety...

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
All of the preload adjusters engage at different points.
Put yours on zero and start cranking it. When the motor changes tones from high to low pitch, it has engaged; that's your starting point.
Mine used to start at 12 and I needed it at 25 for solo riding. After a Traxxion Dynamics rebuild I have it on 15 for 2-up riding.

You'll want to measure the sag in the suspension; usually a comfy ride equates to about 3/4" to 1" sag.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=67847

There's plenty in the tech area regarding springs, shocks, suspension, Traxxion vs. Progressive, preload, etc.
Fred H, Stu O, and Max McAllister have been the most technical among us to address the issues.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Set it at zero and ride for a while. Now set it at 25 and ride for a while. You have just identified the extremes. Now set it 12 and ride for a while. Do you like it softer then 12 or firmer than 12? Adjust accordingly until it feels the way you want it. There is no correct setting except what the rider prefers.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info guys. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Steve, it sounds like you and your wife's combined weight is about the same for my wife and I combined. My preload setting begins at 5; I ride solo at 8 and with my wife aboard at 12. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts