GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "new to me" Wags trailer (mini horse trailer) with 8 inch wheels.

The tires say 60 pounds maximum pressure cold.

I am thinking 60 pounds is too much. :shrug:

I will be pulling the trailer behind my trike.

Suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Yes 60 is WAY TO MUCH :!:

I have 22 to 25 in my 8 inch tires. The 60 is for MAX Load, which I don't think you will be able to put in the little trailer, unless you carry lead ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes 60 is WAY TO MUCH :!:

I have 22 to 25 in my 8 inch tires. The 60 is for MAX Load, which I don't think you will be able to put in the little trailer, unless you carry lead ;)
I agree, I was told 20-25 pounds in my 8 inch tires.

You want the full width of the tire to make equal contact with the road. Load your trailer, pour some water on the ground, roll the trailer through it, then watch the ground to see what kind of water trail your tires leave on dry pavement, and adjust tire pressure up or down to get the max tire surface.

It'll be about 25 pounds, as our trailers don't pull the max load that the recommended 60 pounds of pressure was meant for, i.e. 800-1000 pounds.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
experiment a bit. Your pressure needed will vary with the load weight you carry

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I maintain 30-32 PSI in my 8" tires pulling a light camper. Worked out great for my trip to the West last fall. Like previous posters stated experiment a little.

Fred

07 Blue wing

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I.M.H.O. from experience... I found that running max or just below ( 5lbs )
that you will build up lees heat on tires and bearings... It's a little
bouncier but tires last longer also...
This has been my experience pulling trailers with 8 in tires in almost
100,000 miles..... :popcorn:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am running 13" tires on mine. This will be my first trip with it. Any suggestions as to whether I should get a smaller tire and what pressure in 13'" tires if I use them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an Aluma with 12" tires. I'm running 25 p.s.i. I can't be carrying more than 75-100's though. Seems perfect. Now have 10K on the trailer...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am running 13" tires on mine. This will be my first trip with it. Any suggestions as to whether I should get a smaller tire and what pressure in 13'" tires if I use them.
I run 20psi in my 13in tires and it seems to be ok.
Start at 25 and and work your way down until you find what is best for you. 15psi was my bottom and I didn't like the feel.

Dale

1 - 10 of 10 Posts