GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know what the highest number of miles anyone has put on a wing before having to tear the motor down for a rebuild. I have heard that there was a wing that did 400 thousand, I dont know if that's true or just an old wives tale??????

·
Registered
977 Posts
We have all herd the stories of high mileage wings. I am on my first wing and have just under 21,000 miles in the first year. Had to retire my 85 Subaru last year with 385,000 miles. Motor was fine, trans went out. Flat motors with opposed cylinders like the Goldwing and Subaru just seem to last longer.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I seem to recall, someone posting more than 300,000 miles?

I spoke to Dick Meyer, on Saturday, and he has 286,000 miles on his yellow '01 1800. He's had no major work accomplished. His alternator finally quit, at about 260,000 miles.
He rides the three flags, each year, so, he accumulates nearly 10,000 miles, on a single ride, then.

He has 18,000 miles on his FJR 1300 which he purchased in Spring 2006, just for some variety, in his riding.

Oh, yeah. Dick is 73 years old.

·
Registered
633 Posts
i retired a 94 wing engine with 274K miles august 04. the shifting forks went critical. to split the case and repair was more coinage than throwing another long block into the frame.
rode the newer "motored" engine til march 05 i bought a new 05 Wing in april 05. i am now at 65K.
these Wings will with NORMAL maint run till you get tired of them and think you need a new latest-greatest version.
i still have the old motor sitting in a shed collecting dust. anyone need an anchor?

YMWV

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
photo jounalist, emillio scotto, put 750 thousand on his wing with an engine overhaul around the 500 thousand mark, his wing was at the honda hoot on display, honda made him grand marshal of the event and presented him with a new wing, my numbers may be a little off, but can be found in red rider magazine, along with other m-c magazine's, and the quiness book of world records.

·
Registered
786 Posts
gmk1800 said:
photo jounalist, emillio scotto, put 750 thousand on his wing with an engine overhaul around the 500 thousand mark, his wing was at the honda hoot on display, honda made him grand marshal of the event and presented him with a new wing, my numbers may be a little off, but can be found in red rider magazine, along with other m-c magazine's, and the quiness book of world records.

http://emilioscotto.com/default_eng.asp

·
Registered
291 Posts
A friend of mine had a GL1100 that had just over 400K miles when he had problems somewhere in the transmission/drive shaft/final drive (can't remember which) - but the engine itself was still fine.

Upgraded to a 1500 after that.

I've got 250,000 miles on my '94 GL1500 with NO engine problems at all.

Somehow, I doubt that I'll manage to get it to 750,000 - that's a mighty impressive number!

Roy

·
Registered
377 Posts
The website says 750000 km !!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had over 150,000 on my 1500 and it ran fine. My brother in law just added another 10,000 this year and states it still is running fine. Gotta give Honda credit for buiding a great machine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was in Belle plain mn 1 nite on a dinner ride and a guy showed up just as we were leaving the resturant and his license plate caught our attention, it said MR MILE so we asked him about it and he said he has over 455,000 miles on 98 gl1500
and all he had done to that point was fix the tranny and 1 rear end. thats all he does is ride!

·
Registered
377 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
bigdon said:
The website says 750000 km !!
Which is 466,028.4 miles.
Which is Dang sure impressive, :shock: but it is way shy of 750000 miles! :lol:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
thats 466,000 before the rebuild the same bike went a lot further than that.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
A friend of mine had, IIRC, 369,000 miles on a 1500 when he had a minor accident in some sand and it was totalled due to plastic damage. I don't believe that it ever had much in the way of repairs done, but the guy sure pampers his bikes with maintenance!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts