GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strategy that has proven quite effective at convincing my friends to make the wise investment we know as a Honda Goldwing. Works like a charm, take their wives for a good 1 or 2 hour ride and when they get home they insist that hubby buy one.

My latest project however is a challenge, she wants a brand new GL1800 ("just like Doug's"). He however has never ridden a bike in his life and has no MC license. He is understandably concerned about dropping big coin for his very first bike.

So he has resorted to internet searches for used bikes and came across this puppy, I understand not wanting to jump into a 2009, but I'd hate to see him start with a 91. This bike happens to somehow have only 4,000 + miles on it, which my buddy figures is "like new." At $7,500 it also seems a little high to me.

But, and finally here's the point, what advice can anyone offer on whether this bike is a good deal for a guy like this, what does anybody know about the 91?? Thanks for the help.

http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/1072020121.html

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Great way to loose friends.. Especially "Harley Tards"... :lol:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I think it would be crazy for you friend to buy a 2 wheel Goldwing. Especially since he needs to learn to ride and this gal pal will want to ride with him. In my opinion a much better path would be to buy a Goldwing Trike. This would offer very little learning time and would get the gal on the back much quicker. Then if later they wanted a 2 wheeler, they can decide to do it then.
JMHO

I had a similar situation with my son who wanted a Goldwing just like Dad's. He had not ridden before either. To make a long story short, he bought a trike and is enjoying it immensely and was able to get out riding in a very short time, and is enjoying it very much.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Great way to loose friends.. Especially "Harley Tards"... :lol:
Yea, no kidding. Someone took my wife at the time for a ride. We are now divorced. oh, different ride.

A girl I was dating and my buddy's wife switched passenger spots (he has a ZZ1200). They argued who got to ride with me the rest of the day. :yes1:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I think that is high for a 91, could have trouble with a bike with low of mileage on it. Try to find a 95 or newer, Things dry out from sitting around. A 1500 would be a great start for him but he should ride solo for a while before putting anyone on the back seat. Is there a beginning riders course offered anywhere close to where they live? My son took the course before he bought his first bike and I'm glad he did, he respects the bike and knows his limitations.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would never recommend riding at all for a non-riding friend.

Hell, most of the people already riding shouldn't be on motorcycles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
a Honda dealer in Honeybrook has a nice 98 SE for about the same $ with low milege
I was close to buying it, but realized I would not be happy very long,so I spent the extra $ on a new 1800....very happy now:lol:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
IMHO If he's never ridden a motorcycle he's years away from having enough experience and skills to ride ANY vintage Goldwing.

He needs to start small, something under 1000 CC and lighter than 600 lbs. Once he's comfortable on that then, and only then would I even consider riding 2 up. From there he can decide what type of MC he wants for the long haul.

Personally, I don't think a trike is a replacement for learning how to ride a proper motorcycle. If he learns how to ride then decides a trike is his style then so be it. To go with a trike first then back into a 2 wheel MC is a recipe for disaster.

If you value this friend you should really get him to understand the risks and skills involved in piloting a motorcycle. Especially one where he will have his wife on with him.

Just my opinions, YMMV.......

·
Registered
260 Posts
The 1500's are nice machines but no were near the handling of the 1800. I had been away from bikes for twenty five years after growing up on them and racing MX for a fews years when we reintered the touring phase of our lives. I jumped softly to see if we really wanted and would enjoy this sport with a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade. We loved it (traveling on a MC) but I had to get off that machine before a straightened out one of the many curves that 1200 wanted to straighten out. Handling was a major issue difference. The 1800 that I test drove reminded me of the MX days and I was hooked. I bought it and have not looked back, only look ahead for the next turn or horizon.

With no riding experience, either of these machines will take some getting used to and would be a hand full for some spots we get into. I would led your friend into a small bike for at least a few months for training and beginners balance issues. He could buy a cheap low end bike for this with the idea of selling when ready to graduate.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I am in the class of a lower cc bike to break into riding AND highly suggest a MSF course where he can get the basic instructions of driving aware.

The MSF course in PA, when passed, is an endorsement of your drivers license driving test. Your being in PA can let him know that the course if FREE (well not exactly we pay for everyone taking the course with our driver license fees).

I broke back into riding on my 250 - and still have it because it is a blast to get out on it and remember the fun times it gave me while I was getting my feet wet again riding.

He should be able to pick a nice 250 - 600 for well under $7,500 and find out if he is going to enjoy riding. So many buy bikes on the peer pressure of friends and find out they have spent bucks they are not going to get back. A summer on the smaller cycle will give him the chance to see if motorcycling is a past time he is going to enjoy and if he wants to invest more funds into.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think that is high for a 91, could have trouble with a bike with low of mileage on it. Try to find a 95 or newer, Things dry out from sitting around. A 1500 would be a great start for him but he should ride solo for a while before putting anyone on the back seat. Is there a beginning riders course offered anywhere close to where they live? My son took the course before he bought his first bike and I'm glad he did, he respects the bike and knows his limitations.

I wouldn't worry about the age. I have a 1970, 1974 and 1983 Honda that I regularly ride. I just put 600 miles on my '83 CB1100F this last Saturday. It was a lot different than riding the wing.

That does sound high for a '91 to me though.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
At age 55 after never having ridden or owned a motorcycle, I purchased my first motorcycle (an '84 Gold Wing Aspencade), took the MSF class, passed it with flying colors, came home and did a few practice sessions on the Wing, started riding in Seattle traffic, and have never looked back. I received the same cautions about the bike being too big, etc., but it was the ride I wanted to ride and I'd do it all over again the same way.

Fast forward 8 years (still working full time) and I've got well beyond 100k under my belt on 6 motorcycles including three Wings (I still have the '84 and an '03 GL1800A) as well as a BMW F650 Dual Sport, ST1100, and a Honda 450CM. The missing bike was a '95 Wing destroyed in an accident in California when a truck pulled out in front of me. That was a nice bike, but I like the 1800 better.

If your friend is really motivated to ride, I really don't think it makes much difference what is the correct bike. If he's only riding because you are, then I would probably advise starting with something smaller and working up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
FYI I am 47yrs old and had never owned a bike until june of 2008, I bought a VTX1300 and in september decided i wanted something nicer, bought an 08-GL1800 I have had no problems riding the bikes but i did take a riders course and i highly recommend your friend take one if he decides to start riding.Could save a life or maybe 2 and it will also help with insurance rates if he is a new rider. Good Luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I already signed him up for a beginners course where he can use their bikes. Also gave him the lecture that he can't ride double until I say so based on visual evidence of riding competency. :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of good advice here which I appreciate, but not much feedback in terms of how worried I should be about an 18 YO bike with 4,000 miles on it. That would mean it had to be doing a lot of sitting. I'm no mechanic but isn't that worse than having high mileage?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Diamond Doug.
I would get my friend to to take the Motorcycle Safety Course. and get his licences. And if he still want to ride.I would talk him into getting a 750 to 1000 cc. cruiser or a older Goldwing.You can find some older wing still in good shape. I would not get a lot of money tied up in a bike until I knew for sure . I real want to do this. I would hate to get a lot of money tied up in a bike, and then decide I realy don't want to ride. Here a good place to look www.traderonline.com
Just my 2 cents
thomas

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Lots of good advice here which I appreciate, but not much feedback in terms of how worried I should be about an 18 YO bike with 4,000 miles on it. That would mean it had to be doing a lot of sitting. I'm no mechanic but isn't that worse than having high mileage?
Yea, sitting is 100x worse than high mileage.. You could be looking at a lot of nickel and dime crap even if it runs OK at first look.. If it spent any of it's sad unappreceated life outside of a nice garage the problems multiply.. Tires, hoses, fuel system, suspension etc.. I'm hoping your friend is a mechanic because most dealers won't even work on a bike more than 10 years old.. Ask anybody who's restored an older bike..

Bottom line, $7,100 is a lot of coin for such an old bike even with 4k miles and perfect condition..
I would NOT recommend starting on any bike of this size or age, it's a recipe for problems...

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I rarely buy used and never motorcycles. If I did, that old of a bike with that low of mileage would be a red flag. Your right it has sat..........a lot, maybe years at a time. Sure you could go thru it and replace hoses and other deteriorating pieces drain the fuel tank and carbs and rebuild 'em but not for a regular rider. I'd want something that I could depend on for safety and reliability to go any distance. For a project bike or restoring a classic sure, but not for a regular rider.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Too old of bike. Too much sit time. Dry rot, sun faded, hidden corrosion/pitting issues. Not sure of price.... But being 18 years old with that low of miles, is my biggest worry as well..

I vision big headaches real real soon after purchase.

Tell him to run, run like the wind AWAY from this one. I personally, would not go farther back then 98 time frame IF there were some good (not HIGH) miles on it and maintenance records can be produced.

When I first went looking, I sat on both models (1500 and 1800). Peg placement on 1500 was wrong for me and I am only 5'10". 1800 was better, but not spot on...

Have you sat on a 1500? Has your friend?? Has his SO ???

1 - 20 of 35 Posts