GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of the red light trippers?

Which brand and does it actually work :?:

Gordon

·
Registered
824 Posts
Never heard of one other than the sensors on signals that Police, Fire, and Ambulance can activate, and to my knowledge they don't work that well for them.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you have a problem getting the light to trip, put down your kickstand, it works everytime.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard of devices such as, "Signal Sorcerer", etc. that are advertised to cause inductive loop traffic signal controllers to recognize when an equipped motorcycle enters the field. Equipped with one of these devices your motorcycle is supposed to appear large enough to trip the controller thus allowing you to proceed as a cage would in the same situation.

I've also heard that they are nothing more than a strong magnet capable of lifting more than 20lbs.

Anyone else heard of or used one of these that actually works?

Gordon

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Gordon, are you talking about the magnets that attach to the underside of the bike which mimic the mass of a car so the signals respond?

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you are talking about a large magnet on the underside of the bike, I sort of doubt that it will work any better than making sure you are directly over the sensor that is under that box outline you see in the intersection. Since I learned about those, I have fewer problems at lights. If I have to wait thru a light, I make sure it is clear and then prceed with caution. No defense officer but...............................

·
Registered
385 Posts
Save your money. The people who think that they really work are experiencing the placebo effect. Wish I had my money back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the under bike magnets is what I've heard about. I was wondering if there were any realworld positive results or if this was just another scam.

Thanks for the info.

Gordon

·
Registered
276 Posts
Its another scam. As you approach an intersection controlled by a traffic light look at the pavement behind the stop bar (large white painted bar indicating where you need to stop, the one that everybody ignores :twisted: ). You will see a box created by a thin cut in the pavement. That contains the electronic sensor for the traffic light. Stop with your bike directly over that line and the light will know you are there.

There is another style of sensor, the optical sensor. You can see what looks like (and is) a video camera mounted on the beam that supports the traffic light. This sensor detects the movement as you approach the traffic light. These have not been as successful as hoped. They don't work well in fog, and if a large truck is in the inside straight lane and a small vehicle (like a motorcycle) comes into the left turn lane, the sensor can not pick it up.

Michael

·
Registered
6 Posts
Redlight Trigger

I had a "Greenlight Trigger" on my 2002 Yamaha Midnight Star. This is a bike I had before I bought my 2003 Candy Red Goldwing. Save your money....it didn't work most of the time. The kickstand thing ClosetChief describes works pretty good.........Ride Safe and Often[/b]

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
Save your money, I have tried the magnet no effect that I could tell. Also tried the kickstand..no effect for me. Luckily most of the lites that that cause me problems are not in high traffic areas so I just take Orange Bandits advice wait awhile then proceed with care. I suspect most officers are aware of the problem and are willing to cut some slack.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here in Mobile,AL nearly all lights use the inductive loop buried in the pavement behind the stop line as described by FLwingnut1

Thanks all for your input, I will not waste the money on this one.

Gordon :p

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
RED LIGHT TRIP

BUMMER.......When I read the subject line of this post, I thought you guys were looking for riders to go on an 'exciting ride' to New Orleans or someplace like that ! :D :D

Our luck, the sign on the door would say CLOSED, BEAT IT ! :shock:

:angle1:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found a great solution for red lights that don't trip. Call the authority responsible for maintenance and ask them to fix it. We pay hwy, gas & licensing taxes just like everyone else and should expect the same service from the hwy departments. Everytime I've called CalTrans or the City of Fresno to report an unresponsive ground loop, they've been cooperative and more than happy to schedule the workorder to fix the problem. I've even helped CalTrans test their adjustments on a few lights on the freeway onramps. Sometimes our tax dollars do work.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
hedoman:

I assume "Roxanne" is on your mind?

I had a green light trigger (magnet) and thought
it worked great! After loosing it to one of those
damn speed bumps, I realized what really worked
where the instructions that came with it. They
explained how to use the little lines in the road.
So, I paid the $13 buck for a little education, and
not the magnet maybe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, but I will keep my ALABAMA taxes and let you call those high priced maintenance people in CAL.

I think I can manage to trip the lights with the info I've received without giving the locals any reason to come up with more excuses for tax hikes.

Haven't you CAL guys noticed that your Gov'ment credit card bills are way over the limit and past due. :lol:

Gordon 8)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Large Magnet

I used a large magnet ( 4"x1.5"x1") attached to my centerstand that does work! It maybe the mass of steel, the magnetism, or both, I don't know. But it does work. Darkwing 8)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Exactly, Hedoman.

I thought we were talking a group trip to Amsterdam! :lol:

The magnet has no effect, other than it's mass.

Just bolt 500 lbs. of railroad track to your bike. You'll trip those lights every time. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts