GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a knocking/rattling noise after she warms up at idle, runs great once you take off. I am hoping it:surprise: is the valves need adjusting, hopefully by buddy Len will help me with this after the first of the year. What gaskets or other parts do i need to actually do the valve clearance job, its been about 100,000 miles since they were last checked. Yesterday i pulled out onto a highway access road to enter freeway. I saw a vehicle coming my way and i apparently misjudged his speed. Once i pulled out i had to go to full throttle in first gear while looking at the vehicle rapidly approaching. I apparently went past the redline in first gear and as i was getting ready to pull in the clutch to shift to second the engine cut out and as soon as i went to second gear it came back on. It ran fine the rest of the day, hope i didn't do any damage.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Shouldn't have harmed anything. That's why it has a rev limiter - to prevent it from going to a place that's not good for it. Parts you'll need include valve shims (see Hot Shims valve shims kit), valve cover gaskets left and right, o-ring for timing inspection hole cover, cam chain tensioner tool left and right, spark plugs, gasket sealant, feeler gauges.

I have noticed a knocking/rattling noise after she warms up at idle, runs great once you take off. I am hoping it/forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png is the valves need adjusting, hopefully by buddy Len will help me with this after the first of the year. What gaskets or other parts do i need to actually do the valve clearance job, its been about 100,000 miles since they were last checked. Yesterday i pulled out onto a highway access road to enter freeway. I saw a vehicle coming my way and i apparently misjudged his speed. Once i pulled out i had to go to full throttle in first gear while looking at the vehicle rapidly approaching. I apparently went past the redline in first gear and as i was getting ready to pull in the clutch to shift to second the engine cut out and as soon as i went to second gear it came back on. It ran fine the rest of the day, hope i didn't do any damage.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok my next move will be to pull the right side 3 plugs and do a pressure test and see if that one is off from the other 2. we will then check the valves, cheaper things first wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Ok my next move will be to pull the right side 3 plugs and do a pressure test and see if that one is off from the other 2. we will then check the valves, cheaper things first wish me luck.
Marvin , keep playing the " bad knock and somethings bad wrong card " and Sheryl will eventually feel sorry for you and give in to that new 2019 I know you are maneuvering for. Good job so far , that's your story now stick to it. Good luck with that .>:)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good one Yoda. I am going to check the timing chain also, don't know if there is an adjustment or just replace. I should get to work on it after the Holidays. Heading up to the lake to sleep out in 30 degree weather tomorrow (new years eve), guess i ought to take some refreshments, lol

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
good one yoda. I am going to check the timing chain also, don't know if there is an adjustment or just replace. I should get to work on it after the holidays. Heading up to the lake to sleep out in 30 degree weather tomorrow (new years eve), guess i ought to take some refreshments, lol
wild turkey.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts