GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 03 Candy Red rocket home from the shop today. I took it in Monday AM got it back Wednesday mid day. Welds look great. No scratches and no coolant smell. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have no complaints with the update. The original welds looked better than most and the new welds look even beefier. You cannot tell any work was done to the bottom of the bike. I wish all you guys the best of luck that have yet to get the welding done on your machines. Lake Charles Honda of Louisiana did me right.
Now if we can just get back to riding, I'll be happy.
For any of you guys that are still hesitant about the frame update, I would encourage you to just do it. I was very apprehensive about letting my bike go for the work, and I did worry all the time it was gone. When I picked it up I gave it a real close inspection and found absolutely nothing to indicate the work was done. Except,,,,, larger welds on the crossmember.
Ride safe, and often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Still waiting for mine blue dragon to have weild and ecm done. They are just getting started weilding bikes at my dealership. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Congrats on getting the Red Rocket back so quickly. It took me a a bit longer to get my '03 back. Had the ECM done as well. I've been riding mine to work all week, and everything seems to be back to normal.. Like yours, the welds look great, but I'm no welder. I just need to remember to 'crawl under' and have a look from time to time.

Safe riding, everyone!

John in Vegas

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking up

I will have to say that earlier, like two months ago, I was seriously considering selling my GL 1800. With all the flaming and negative talk, I was somewhat affected by it. I went thru with the ECM. Took the bike in on Monday and got it back on Tuesday afternoon. Not a glitch after the update. It quit running hot and did seem to be a little smoother on acceleration in first gear. The frame weld was the same way. No problems except my foot rests were put on the wrong side of the bike and my antenna's dont fold straight forward now. Thirty minutes and that can be remedied. So, I guess I'm smiling and gonna ride it. I will probably continue to look under the bike from now on. We should do that anyway.
Happy trails Tonto

1 - 4 of 4 Posts