GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 9 months, I bought a new car, a 2011 Ford Fusion Sport, in red. It is my first red car. (this is motorcycle related. Just wait.)

In the first couple of months, I had a number of near misses, with drivers cutting me off, pulling in front of me, etc. Each time, I chuckled after staining my shorts, chalking it up to new car syndrome. Everyone wants to be first to baptize a new car.

The problem is, the new car syndrome has not worn off. In fact, it is getting worse. In these past 9 months, I have had more close calls than I have had in my entire 30 years of driving. And I'm talking close as in less than a foot away from an accident.

The most recent one was as I was driving through a shopping center at a crawl, no more than 10mph. A guy who was waiting to pull out of a side aisle just pulled out, aiming right for my door. I laid on the horn and it scared the crap out of him. He never saw me, even though it was in the middle of the day.

By contrast, I cannot remember one single car pulling out in front of my 02 Illusion Blue Wing in the 10 years I have owned it. Even when drivers begin to roll, they have always seen me and stopped. (I did have a woman driving a semi pull out and try to run me off the road however.)

I have never given much credence to the color thing. But this has been going on way too long with too many close calls to still be just coincidence. People simply do not see this car. And the only reason I can think of is because it is red. And no, it is not my imagination. My wife has been with me numerous times and has seen it happen. She now believes me. (although she just laughed at me the first dozen times I told her about it.)

What is surprising is that red is generally considered to be an easy color to see. Magazines almost always pick red cars for their covers because they feel it makes the cover more visible.

Most people, especially men, see red as the predominant color. I am different. I see blue as predominant. So I could never argue against this thinking.

Everyone can of course form their own theories as to why this is happening. But at this point, I will never buy a red Goldwing, and that is why I am sharing this. Having this stuff happen in a car is bad enough. I don't need that kind of danger while on my bike. Hopefully I won't jinx myself here. But it seems that my blue Wing is more visible.

Honda needs to bring back Illusion Blue. If visibility is important to you, I would recommend buying any color other than red. This car is gorgeous in red. But I would trade it for a different color in a second if I could.

I fully expect skepticism here. It's only an observation. I'm not trying to present it as fact.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
If they do not see your lights, they are probably not going to see any color bike with the possible exception of the yellow wings. I have an 03 candy red and I have not had many close calls---- nowhere even close to what you are relating in your red car. Who knows for sure??

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think you've just ran into a rash of idiots. All I know is I've had red bikes, blue, yellow, you name it. I've had red cars, blue, black, you name it. I've personnally seen no significance to color making $0.02 worth of difference to other drivers.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
My first car I purchased was a totaled 1971 Mustang when I was 14 years old.
Two years later, upteen salvage yards later,and a trip to the paint booth the nine year old car was looking good!
Well I enjoyed that Red 1971 Mustang for about 3 months,before a retired Highway Patrolman made a left turn in front of me??? He said he never saw my Red 71' Mustang,BTW he was driving a 76' Red Mustang :shrug: Go figure?? I sure saw him in his Red Mustang :22yikes: lol
I stay away from Red and sure would like to see Illusion Blue back in the Gold Wing line up :thumbup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Idiots! They've definitely got us out numbered and seems like their numbers are increasing. I figure we need to keep a sharp eye out no matter what color we ride. :shrug::roll:

·
Registered
268 Posts
No way...

That the red color is the problem...I just bought a Cherry red 2011 Elantra(beautiful car, by the way) in March...have put 16000 miles on it already-nobody has come close to taking me out.
had a 2005 Red Goldwing, no one came close to it either.....
Have a 2004 Blue Pacifica...was rear eneded when a few months old, several people made me do some avoidance moves it it---BLUE :roll:
Drove a lime green(as in BRIGHT) Ford cargo van for 7 years. One day a woman made a U-turn DIRECTLY in front of me, slammed on the brakes, and t-boned her.
First words out of her mouth...I didn't see you"......If she didn't see a big cargo van in lime green, you think she is gonna' see a red small car or Goldwing...NOT!:22yikes:
You have just had a "run" of idiots, it is not, repeat NOT the color's fault!!!:wrong:

Pud

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Maybe that's why fire trucks are going to yellows. ;)

The only vehicle I've had trouble with is my Forest Green Dakota. It's been hit a dozen times while parked out in the open at Home Depot and Menard's. :cry:
The insurance refused me coverage after the eighth.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Short round You could be incorrect fire depts have found that red yellow or black 20 30 or 50 flashing lights red white and blue IDIOTS are IDIOTS and "Gee I did not see the 40,000 truck light up like a christmas tree that is 40' long and 12' high. Yes I have a drivers lic I got it in a cherrieos box!"

Attitude yours and theirs is the issue, perhaps you drive the pretty little red car a little faster and more agressively it is a nice ride.... D

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
My favorite color has always been RED. Most of my motorcycles and all of my wings except my present one have been RED. The only reason I do not have a RED wing is because they did not make RED the year my wife wanted a new motorcycle. My BMW was RED. My C-14 is RED. My Jeep is RED, etc., etc., etc. No problems ever... so far. Maybe look wlsewhere? Hmmmmm......:tongue:

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
FACT. There are more RED goldwings than any other color. FACT. Are they better? No they are the same. Blue ones suck though

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
You need to run straight pipes and a Stage 2 kit.

Oh wait...:joke:

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
That nice guy take from Florida that used to have the walking alligator may take offense at your title. ;)
But then again, people have aimed at him also. ;)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Had people pull out in front of a blue Freightliner running high beams during the day :eek:4: I think the color helps with the people paying attention but for those that don't, it doesn't seem to matter what you are driving.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Developed this saying back in my college days . . .

"Only fat and/or ugly chicks drive red cars."

Go ahead, test it. Look at all the red cars and tell me if you think the girl or woman is hot, or shapely. If it's a guy driving the car, then he has a fat/ugly wife or girlfriend.

Therefore, I will never own a red car. As for a bike, I might stretch to the dark cherry color, but that's it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Developed this saying back in my college days . . .

"Only fat and/or ugly chicks drive red cars."

Go ahead, test it. Look at all the red cars and tell me if you think the girl or woman is hot, or shapely. If it's a guy driving the car, then he has a fat/ugly wife or girlfriend.

Therefore, I will never own a red car. As for a bike, I might stretch to the dark cherry color, but that's it.
LarryM is he talking about us, or just out his A**:shrug:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
That nice guy take from Florida that used to have the walking alligator may take offense at your title. ;)
But then again, people have aimed at him also. ;)
I didn't know Red had an alligator?

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LarryM is he talking about us, or just out his A**:shrug:
I'm pretty certain he just called my wife fat and ugly, so I am going to ignore it this one time and just chalk it up to stupidity. Apparently the drinking from his college days never ended. Let's move on.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts