GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My valves are chattering a bit and I was told when I bought the bike that they'd need adjusting soon. The chatter is quite and mainly only at idle, bike runs great. 224k miles...

Could someone give me a redirect to instructions on how to adjust the valves? I'm pretty mechanicly adept so is this something I could tackle? Is it something left to a Pro (I say that loosley)...

Lastly, I'm noticing that under moderate load, 2nd gear low throttle, I'm getting a hesitation in the throttle response... any thoughts?

Thanks
Crusty.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Are you sure you're not hearing the injectors clicking away?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Valve settings are not hard to adjust or measure, But I would suggest you buy a set of fred Harmons Videos. They explain all you need to know in detail. Here is the link http://www.angelridevideos.com/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly don't know if the it's the injectors or the valvles. I've never heard injectors though. The only reason why I'm thinking the valves need adjusted is becuase the mechanic said so. The previous owner trusts him (comes by the house, not the dealer), and has worked on the bike since it was born. SO....

What kind of indicators should tell me besides mileage and a dedicated wing mechanic?

Crusty.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I honestly don't know if the it's the injectors or the valvles. I've never heard injectors though. The only reason why I'm thinking the valves need adjusted is becuase the mechanic said so. The previous owner trusts him (comes by the house, not the dealer), and has worked on the bike since it was born. SO....

What kind of indicators should tell me besides mileage and a dedicated wing mechanic?

Crusty.
He probably meant they are due to be checked.... not adjusted... injectors have a ticking sound...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He definitley said adjusted... I remember that much.

Any clue on the hesitation? Do Goldwings have a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
Keep in mind that with this overhead cam engine, the valves usually get tighter with age, not looser. I think you're hearing the fuel injectors. Checking the valve clearance isn't too hard, but the cams have to be removed if you want to make adjustments. Yes, there's a TPS and it's only sold as part of the throttle body assembly, big $$$. I would run some techron thru it first.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Crusty,

In the mean time, throw a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner in your fuel tank at the next fill up.

This particular product is recommended by Stu Oltman (WingWorld Magazine's tech column guru) for cleaning your fuel injectors. Can't hurt, and it's worth a try to see if it stops the injectors from ticking.

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
Welcome to the board..

The ticking will be injector noise.

At that mileage and not knowing what fuel has been used the techtron is probably a good idea.

From what you've said you should be able to do the valve check (and adjust if necessary). If adjustment is required you will be removing the cams and changing shims.

If you change the plugs and air filter as well you'll have a good baseline for future maintenance and for diagnosis of your hesitation. Plugs are straight forward - air filter is not difficult but it is time consuming (at least the first time) and not for the timid due to the large amount if disassembly required (shelter removal, harness plug disconnections etc...)

An after market service manual will help - some insist Honda manual is the only way to go. Fred H (board member) has a dvd set which can be purchased so you can see the bike service/rebuild/repair projects done and know what you might be getting yourself into. They can be purchased from the site sponsor or from Fred (angel ride videos, I believe)

Use the search tool, read lots of old posts, and ask questions. There's a TON of good info on the site.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have bought a set of Fred's DVDs and believe they are a must have. Very down to earth videos. I have changed air filters, checked valve clearance, changed brake and clutch fluid etc.
Saved many many times it's cost
Paddy

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you trust this mechanic and he has worked on the bike since new, is experienced in working on Wings, with 224,000 miles, I would say have them checked. He will know when they were checked last and what the gaps were. I guess it is just a matter of if you trust the sellers opinion of the mechanic and the overall condition that the bike is in as a result of the mechanics' work.

·
Registered
931 Posts
One more STRONG recommendation to get Mr. Harmon's DVD set.

Unless you really know your way around the GL1800 engine, his tips and guidance will save you lots of time and frustration!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,465 Posts
I didn't mean he shouldn't check them, I meant they are probably not the ticking sound he's hearing because they will be tight if anything.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I didn't mean he shouldn't check them, I meant they are probably not the ticking sound he's hearing because they will be tight if anything.
Understood that. Wanted him to know they just might be needing adjusted not knowing how many miles ago it was done.
I wish they loosened instead of thightening!
We're on the same page.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Crusty.
Goldwing Valves do not chatter, if anything they tighten up.

It is a shim and Bucket style, you can not adjust them period without removing the camshafts and replacing the shims.

However checking them ( to see if in spec) is easy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
valve adjustment

Didn't say what year the bike is???I had an 02 that had the recall done for overheating,the ECM they install for that had a hiccup in the fuel map and would "skip" at about 1500 rpm....Not a big deal but annoying at times,in the rain at slow speeds etc....

·
Registered
931 Posts
When/if you do check your valves, I strongly recommend getting Fred Harmon's maintenance DVD set. Many excellent, time-saving tips, and as a casual, back yard mechanic, I'm not sure I could have successfully serviced my valves without watching his DVD. In fact, I probably could not have!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I got to thinking of your post last night when went to bed.

You can go to Harbor Freight they sell Stethoscopes for like $3.99
It's like the thing Doctors use to listen to your Heart on humans.

But this one is for Mechanics.

Give it a try, report back where the noise is coming from.

Also given the miles on your bike, I was wondering if the Cam Tensioners
are going bad and maybe clattering. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts