GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been some time since I've read any posts regarding Guhl's reflashing the ECU on the 2018+ Wing.

My F6B was done and the results were worth every penny IMO.

Any news on how this is going from Fred, or anyone else?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Fred ... the speed limiter is not something I care about.

I'm interested in increased acceleration ... less throttle "hop", ... smoother shifting points.

Let's see when this happens. Appreciate what Don is doing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why would you do anything at this point in the Bikes life cycle to void the warranty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
Why would you do anything at this point in the Bikes life cycle to void the warranty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the $10,000 question. Does it void the warranty?:nerd:

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
I sure hope Don can get the throttle response to be more smooth in TOUR and SPORT. It is hard to be sssmmmooottthhh in the twisties as is.

prs

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
We have one final adjustment/testing cycle to go through before the final reflash is complete for the throttle remapping of the Sport Mode. This should be done in a week or two and then I believe he will be ready to start reflashing ECMs.

If you want the DCT transmission points altered, that is going to take longer. Don is still working on deciphering some of the code that is passed from the ECM to the TCM. My gut feeling is that in order to reprogram the shift points, we are going to have reflash the TCM as well as the ECM, which means this portion of the project could take a lot longer, and would involve more costs, since two modules would have to be reflashed. I wouldn't expect this to be done anytime soon unless Don stumbles upon a eureka in the ECM code.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred ... what results should we expect to see with the reflashed ECM on the nonDCT bikes?

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
The Honda programmed shift points are annoying; shifting upward as soon as you throttle on coming out of a quick curve, upshifting too soon, etc,; but I think using manual mode pretty much solves those flaws. Thank you again for being a Doer and Shaker on this project!

prs

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
Fred ... what results should we expect to see with the reflashed ECM on the nonDCT bikes?

In addition to the speed limiter being removed, we are remapping both the Tour and Sport throttle control maps. Tour mode will be slightly more responsive, and Sport mode will have some of the edginess taken out of the low rpm range to make it a little less sensitive at lower rpms and in the lower gears.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In addition to the speed limiter being removed, we are remapping both the Tour and Sport throttle control maps. Tour mode will be slightly more responsive, and Sport mode will have some of the edginess taken out of the low rpm range to make it a little less sensitive at lower rpms and in the lower gears.
Fred ... I know my F6B with the reflashed ECM is quite a bit quicker than stock. Do you think the 2018 reflash will provide us with a quicker accelerating bike like the previous remap?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like this will be a reality soon, at least the first steps in the ECU re-flashing. Count me in this fall when I recover from hip replacement surgery. Many thanks to Fred for testing these changes. Another thing, I wouldn't lose any sleep over worrying about Honda Dealers discovering a re-flash and Honda cancelling your warranty. There is no capability at the Honda dealer level to look inside the ECU and see changes Guhl makes. The ECU would have to be returned to mother Honda to do this and this would require the dealer independently discovering you had say removed the speed limiter. Do you think when you go in for service the dealer is going to go out and exceed the factory speed limiter just to bust you. Just keep the re-flash to yourself.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Most dealers will never look beyond the obvious unless it is causing a problem. They are interested in getting your bike in and out as fast as possible.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems we are drifting away from the topic ....

I don't care about the so called warranty. I'm interested ... as stated in my initial post ... what this reflash does for the performance of the bike.

If you are afraid of voiding your warranty ... don't do the reflash. Simple.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
Fred ... I know my F6B with the reflashed ECM is quite a bit quicker than stock. Do you think the 2018 reflash will provide us with a quicker accelerating bike like the previous remap?

Eventually we hope to put a DCT on the dyno and do some tuning on it to see what performance can be gained by adjusting the fuel and ignition timing, but first Don will have to find a way to put the bike into the dyno test mode because the DCT won't shift out of first gear on the dyno due to the traction control. We are looking for a workaround for this issue, but haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eventually we hope to put a DCT on the dyno and do some tuning on it to see what performance can be gained by adjusting the fuel and ignition timing, but first Don will have to find a way to put the bike into the dyno test mode because the DCT won't shift out of first gear on the dyno due to the traction control. We are looking for a workaround for this issue, but haven't found it yet.
I don't have a DCT, Fred ... just the non-Tour 6 speed manual bike. Any info on what the reflash will do for the non-Tour performance-wise?

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
I'm in the process of going over some of the throttle mapping to do some more fine tuning to it, and found something interesting.

In Tour mode, when you twist the throttle full open, the bike only gives you about 80% throttle in fourth gear until you reach higher RPMs and/or gears.

I think about times when I downshift and go to pass a vehicle. When I ask for 100% throttle, even in Tour mode, it seems like I should actually get 100% throttle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts