GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Reg risers in from HDL, I opened up the package and wow what an incomplete and vague instruction sheet as in one half page. Has anyone out there done an install on an '06 with these adjustable Reg risers? If so, how about some clear insights, shortcuts, and tips. Thanks in advance. Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
There are various degrees of experience when it comes to people who install the REG Risers. We have never had a professional call because the instructions or process is unclear, but we have had who we suspect are owners who are doing their own install call. Not a lot, but a few. I will be more than happy to re-visit the instructions this weekend, but also invite you to call me personally for the install. Jim 770-355-5398.
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I installed the reg adjustable risers on my 05 and I had to take care to read all of the directions carefully.

At first the directions looked daunting to me also but then i saw that all of the different bags are colored coded with round stickers on them and I began to realize that its a well organised package.

My first impression might have been a little more positive if the instructions were written as a list of numbered steps.

Still, in the end everything came out ok.

My only advice I can give you Terry, is to read the instructions before hand. As you read the instructions, carefully open up each bag, check out the contents, and put them back in the bag before going to the next set of instructions for the next bag.

I hope that helps.
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REG said:
There are various degrees of experience when it comes to people who install the REG Risers. We have never had a professional call because the instructions or process is unclear, but we have had who we suspect are owners who are doing their own install call. Not a lot, but a few. I will be more than happy to re-visit the instructions this weekend, but also invite you to call me personally for the install. Jim 770-355-5398.
Thanks but no thanks,
Your condescending tone comes through loud and clear. :cry: I'll manage hopefully with the help some others members here but if not, it'll just take a little longer to sort it all out. Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Terry, we manufacture a very reliable and highly engineered product that is an easy installation for a good mechanic. My tone was not meant to be anything but helpful, and offering my personal phone number on the evening of a holiday I thought would be seen as a genuine gesture to help. Good luck with the install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
An extra set of hands would help a lot but I was able to do it just by myself on my 05.

Drape a big towel over the tank area to protect the bike from getting scratched.
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
katchunk said:
I installed the reg adjustable risers on my 05 and I had to take care to read all of the directions carefully.

At first the directions looked daunting to me also but then i saw that all of the different bags are colored coded with round stickers on them and I began to realize that its a well organised package.

My first impression might have been a little more positive if the instructions were written as a list of numbered steps.

Still, in the end everything came out ok.

My only advice I can give you Terry, is to read the instructions before hand. As you read the instructions, carefully open up each bag, check out the contents, and put them back in the bag before going to the next set of instructions for the next bag.

I hope that helps.
I guess I'm being somewhat misunderstood here. It's not the actual riser install, thats fairly self explanatory. It's the lack of detailed steps that are '06 model specific. Example: where is the tab you depress to release the multifunction display connector from the panel. You have very little slack in the wiring and can't get the panel up high enough to get a good look underneath, it even using a mirror I can't see it.I do have an '06 service manual but it neither shows (by diagram)nor tells you exactly how to release this connector. Txs anyway, Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,834 Posts
tvbveb said:
REG said:
There are various degrees of experience when it comes to people who install the REG Risers. We have never had a professional call because the instructions or process is unclear, but we have had who we suspect are owners who are doing their own install call. Not a lot, but a few. I will be more than happy to re-visit the instructions this weekend, but also invite you to call me personally for the install. Jim 770-355-5398.
Thanks but no thanks,
Your condescending tone comes through loud and clear. :cry: I'll manage hopefully with the help some others members here but if not, it'll just take a little longer to sort it all out. Terry
Terry,
just my 2 cents here,but I don't get the " condescending tone " that apparently you got.
To me it sounded like an honest gesture to help.

I put a set of these on my 04 with no problem,but it sounds like it's a little different on an 06,so can't be much help
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
tvbveb said:
REG said:
There are various degrees of experience when it comes to people who install the REG Risers. We have never had a professional call because the instructions or process is unclear, but we have had who we suspect are owners who are doing their own install call. Not a lot, but a few. I will be more than happy to re-visit the instructions this weekend, but also invite you to call me personally for the install. Jim 770-355-5398.
Thanks but no thanks,
Your condescending tone comes through loud and clear. :cry: I'll manage hopefully with the help some others members here but if not, it'll just take a little longer to sort it all out. Terry
Terry,
just my 2 cents here,but I don't get the " condescending tone " that apparently you got.
To me it sounded like an honest gesture to help.

I put a set of these on my 04 with no problem,but it sounds like it's a little different on an 06,so can't be much help
I'm over it, no biggie, I probably just overreacted anyway. T. :oops:
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Towmoter said:
Terry, click on this link then go down in the thread and it has pictures and will answer your questions on the '06 http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... p?p=641280
That is a very helpful post (great pics) but I had already figured it all out by the time you reposted it. I don't know why that wouldn't pop up for me on a dash panel removal "search" I did. In hindsight it's actually pretty simple. I just couldn't see well enough to be confident when removing those little electrical connectors. Thanks a million for trying to help though. Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,685 Posts
tvbveb said:
REG said:
There are various degrees of experience when it comes to people who install the REG Risers. We have never had a professional call because the instructions or process is unclear, but we have had who we suspect are owners who are doing their own install call. Not a lot, but a few. I will be more than happy to re-visit the instructions this weekend, but also invite you to call me personally for the install. Jim 770-355-5398.
Thanks but no thanks,
Your condescending tone comes through loud and clear. :cry: I'll manage hopefully with the help some others members here but if not, it'll just take a little longer to sort it all out. Terry

I don't hear a condescending tone at all. I think Jim was saying he realizes the directions might assume more technical experience that the average Joe or Terry might have and he is willing to take time to help you in any way he can. I call that good customer service.
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
13,055 Posts
tvbveb said:
Thanks but no thanks,
Your condescending tone comes through loud and clear. :cry: I'll manage hopefully with the help some others members here but if not, it'll just take a little longer to sort it all out. Terry
You probably read it right! :? At least he didn't refer to you as being stupid for a idea you had. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
tvbveb said:
It's the lack of detailed steps that are '06 model specific. Example: where is the tab you depress to release the multifunction display connector from the panel.
If you need this level of help/instructions, I suggest you pay someone to do it. BTW, unless the 06 and higher are different, you lift up on the tab.
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wanderer said:
tvbveb said:
It's the lack of detailed steps that are '06 model specific. Example: where is the tab you depress to release the multifunction display connector from the panel.
If you need this level of help/instructions, I suggest you pay someone to do it. BTW, unless the 06 and higher are different, you lift up on the tab.
Hey guys,
You must of missed a couple of my replies
. Look up, I'm over it, no big deal at all. I just figured it all out on my own. I was only concerned about being careful with the electrical connectors. Particularly when removing the instrument cluster the connectors and weather tight boots because you have to do it by feel, Barely any slack in the harnesses. The install is complete. The actual riser install was typical and simple, removing the instrument cluster and nav unit blindly was the major pain!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I'm done, thank the LORD, Terry
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
13,055 Posts
Wanderer said:
unless the 06 and higher are different, you lift up on the tab.
They are different. :wink: You push in instead of lifting the tabs. To install the risers on the '06 you also have to remove the complete meter panel, not just the cover.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top