GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered these risers from DLP on June 7th and checked on the order status today. When I called DLP, the gentleman on the other end said that he doesn't know when they'll get more in. Said a guy makes them in his garage. True?

I've Googled and found no other suppliers. Anybody know of anywhere else to buy em?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I ordered these risers from DLP on June 7th and checked on the order status today. When I called DLP, the gentleman on the other end said that he doesn't know when they'll get more in. Said a guy makes them in his garage. True?

I've Googled and found no other suppliers. Anybody know of anywhere else to buy em?

I've heard that recently That they are backordered.No restocking date was announced.
DLP is the only place that has them.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Sorry guys, I have just got to vent a little bit regarding this thread.

With all the machine shops that have gone out of business, due to our wonderful economy, the price of used CNC machinery has really come down.

To the point that a lot of guys now have them in HOME SHOPS.

I have no bone to pick with them, however it makes it difficult at times to compete with their prices when you are running a full blown shop with employees, mortages, taxes, and monthly overhead.

From what I see of the photos on the DLP web it looks like a couple of machined brackets and a bunch of hardware. (Hardware is fairly cheap)

They Retail for $99.00. My educated guess is that DLP is paying around $40.-$50. for the set. (They have to make a profit ya know).

Lets say they cost DLP $50.00 Ea. FOB....most shops in my area charge $75.00 an hour for machine work. That means the parts (Less Hardware) have to be produced in around 30 minutes each.

(That includes Unloading the steel truck, cut the part to size, put it in the machine, load the tools, machine the part, package the part, and lets not forget the cost of shipping the parts UPS to the distributor, & the cost of the zip lock baggies, and box to ship them in.)

Wonder who pays for the Products Liability on these parts...The guy at home or DLP ??

Are they on backorder because the guy at home is on an extended vacation ? Or his house needed to be painted this month ??

Just hate to hear that a company like DLP may be doing business with a bootleger, but I guess you got to do what you got to do.

Just doesn't seem fair to the customers waiting on the parts, however.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harry,

Do you machine parts? If so, I think there's a market for risers for the 1800 that isn't being filled.

I understand and agree with all your points. I appreciate DLP being a board sponsor and I purchase frequently from them, but it seems like they are just a distributor. They keep a low inventory (if at all) and basically, are an order-filler.

-- Tim

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
....makes it difficult at times to compete with their prices when you are running a full blown shop with employees, mortages, taxes, and monthly overhead.
If that is your competition, you're in big trouble anyway.

Nothing wrong with a home shop and when he buys a second machine, then he is well on his way to being a big shop...the American dream. Kudos to the guy that can pick himself up and move on to something better...and chances are, he's working two jobs.

A cheap CNC still isn't cheap and tooling certainly isn't. Without a staff/crew, the work is the same...who do you think is doing all that sawing, programming, set-up, machining, deburring, inspection, assembling kits, packaging, instructions, shipping, etc. Sounds like he works hard for his pennies and a lot harder than most.

I have REG risers on 3 Wings and a machine shop. I wouldn't even think of touching those parts (much less including hardware) for $100 much less $40-50.

I'd rather buy a part from a fellow like that, even with a wait, than Kury. If it bothers you that bad and the riser are not available, seems to me that you are passing up an opportunity. Make a run.

What product liability?

Z

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I don't consider them competition, and fortunately, I have all the work I can handle at the moment.

After the economy crashed I was concerned, since almost everything I do is done on "Expendable Income" But, I have had the second best year since I started my business in 1982. :shrug:

Guess when times get hard, folks look to their hobbies for entertainment.
Wish I was also in the liquor business.

Hey, I am all about the American Dream, I am living it. Started out with some basic hand tools, a Floor Jack, some Jack Stands, and a MIG Welder, in a 750 sq. ft. rental space.

If you can find a "Home Machinist" who will work cheap, go for it.
My point was and as you pointed out.....You can't make the parts for what he is charging.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hey, I am all about the American Dream, I am living it. Started out with some basic hand tools, a Floor Jack, some Jack Stands, and a MIG Welder, in a 750 sq. ft. rental space
Kudos to you, as well, and that's what I'm talking about. The country needs more just like yourself rather than conglomerates run by bean-counters. I know many machine shop owners that started off on a small scale and grew their little companies into big thriving businesses. Some are job-shops, some pure manufacturing...all with the same basic roots.

I could build the parts just like you could but that isn't the profit margins I (and probably you) have in mind. If and when the little REGs shop grows, he'll get to experience some of the minuses of having a bigger shop with high-priced skilled labor, benefits, paid vacations, medical insurance, matching 401ks, uniforms, killed parts, workmen's comp, quarterly estimates, sick days, OSHA, no-shows, escalating material cost, general liability, taxes, taxes and more taxes. Right now, he'll put up with more inconvenience, bad working conditions and longer hours than his hired help will in the future.

In my eyes, anybody that builds motorcycle parts has to love what they are doing because they aren't in it for the money.

Z

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I got a friend that loves projects like this.When I get my bike back I'll pull mine and have him take measurements and mill some sets up.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
The guy who makes these runs a business making medical equipment. The last time I talked to him his father was running REG. I don't know what the problem is, but it is a part time thing that takes second place to his full time manufacturing.

Zack hit it on the nose.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a friend that loves projects like this.When I get my bike back I'll pull mine and have him take measurements and mill some sets up.
I'd be in the market for a set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts