GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been rehashed a bejillion times, and I know there's a search function, but frankly there's too much to sift through when you bring up oil related threads.
My question is this: Is there something lacking from regular Mobil 1 that is engineered for a car that would be detrimental to my bike? I've been using Rotella synthetic without any complaints, and was thinking of trying Mobil 1, but thought I'd ask those more knowledgeable in such things first.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
MOBIL ONE

i have used the 15/50 mobile one since 2000.00 miles on my 01 i now have 80,000 miles on her and she runs like new,15/50 mobil one is the greatest.OLE YELLER MBG PA :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Re: MOBIL ONE

magenta said:
i have used the 15/50 mobile one since 2000.00 miles on my 01 i now have 80,000 miles on her and she runs like new,15/50 mobil one is the greatest.OLE YELLER MBG PA :D
Ditto.....

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Re: MOBIL ONE

magenta said:
A lot of "Wingers" used the Mobil 1 15w50 'red cap', but wouldn't use the newer 'gold' cap'. I forget why... with the 'gold cap' did they start to include moly?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I use the gold cap. no problems. Tim

G

·
One of the salient issues is whether or not the oil has friction modifiers in it. Since the GL1800 engine, transmission and clutch (unlike your car) share the oil.

·
Registered
17,141 Posts
"Regular" Mobil One may cover a lot of territory - I am not at all sure. The content of moly is typically the concern. I have used Red Cap and other than being unnecessarily viscous for our need, it was a good product. I have also used Mobile/Delvac One which is intended for the same market as is the Rotella T Syn you have used; both are excellent oils, not at sure if one is superior to the other for our application. If you can find it, Mobil also provides a 10-40 version of their MC specific oil. Quite frankly, you are already riding one of the best band wagons in the parade.

Apparently, most oils have some amount of moly in them, I have heard that Honda lable oil does too, but evidently its a matter of degree, or maybe its a matter of misinformation. The diesel equipment service oils tend to be low or maybe devoid of moly since some of that equipment uses oil in wet brake and clutch packs.

prs

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I've used "regular" Mobil 1 in all of my motorcyles for the past two years, and have no problems with it.

As another footnote, about 21 years ago I was asked to ride in an 8 hour endurance race on a Honda 1000 Interceptor (I did two one-hour stints). The bike had Mobil 1 in it . I don't remember the oil viscosity, but I do remember that it was actually lower than recommended for the motorcyle because they did not make the proper weight at the time. The bike ran flawlessly, and we never had any issues with the cluch or shifting.

·
Registered
549 Posts
in the 15/50 gold cap there is NO moly........

works great....... i keep plenty in the barn......

new 2005 has been on it from first change.... almost 30k so far...

also used it alllll the time on the old 1500

now go get some and change yer oil 8)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Isn't it wether the oil has the conservation label on it, then it's up tp the weight you choose? At least with Mobil 1.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the information, gentlemen!
I'll give it a try on the next change.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The difference between the Red Cap and the Gold Cap is marketing.
Same oil, good as it gets.

Roger

·
Registered
233 Posts
The gold cap does not have the additives the regular Mobil 1 has. It is those additives that will cause the wet clutch in the 1800 to slip.

·
Registered
549 Posts
StealthRider said:
I guess I have been wasting my money on the Mobil 1 Motorcycle specific. :?
look fer the 5qt 15/50 jugs at wally mart.... thats the best deal in town if ya can find em.... sometimes im stuck buyin by the qt... and not all wally worlds are alike....... some just dont carry the 15/50 around here

i tink the 5qt jugs were goin fer 28 bucks and change 8)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I changed my oil for the first time and use shell 10 w 40 Wow the bike did not like it.... dummy as I am... I thought oil was oil ...went to a bike shop and bought asmoil. the price was stuped.....but I needed it.. the wing shifted better the ever. I wont change back......Kevin :D

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
damn you must ride harder than me then!!! what you like i love!!

also ran the shell in the 24 hr ride and missed zero shifts,wish i could say that about the mobile one"was a good oil though"

·
Registered
490 Posts
yellow wolf.... no I put in motor oil 10 w 40. the same as my car... not the right stuff..... :oops:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts