GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have the 12,000 mile service done on my 2008 Goldwing. I live in Delaware. I've checked with Powersports East (New Castle, Del) and they provided a cost estimate of $350 to $400 depending on the actual amount of time required. I would think Honda service center would have a real good idea how long it will take for a stock bike (mine is)!

Any way, I have several questions:

1. Is this a reasonable price?
2. Is this service center reliable and qualified?
3. Are there any other or better Honda service centers that are reliable, qualified and trustworthly (that is, that won't take advantage of me!)

Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,548 Posts
What are they going to do for 400 dollars? At 12000 miles there is not a whole lot that needs to be done. I like the parts department, but I would never use their service department.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bring it to me in Williamsburg, VA and I'll do the service for free labor.

There's not much to it, really, what, fluids and filters and a few checks? Easy-peasy. You can really do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I need to have the 12,000 mile service done on my 2008 Goldwing. I live in Delaware. I've checked with Powersports East (New Castle, Del) and they provided a cost estimate of $350 to $400 depending on the actual amount of time required. I would think Honda service center would have a real good idea how long it will take for a stock bike (mine is)!

Any way, I have several questions:

1. Is this a reasonable price?
2. Is this service center reliable and qualified?
3. Are there any other or better Honda service centers that are reliable, qualified and trustworthly (that is, that won't take advantage of me!)

Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed. Thanks
All i would do at that milage is change engine oil and filter and change final drive fluid,THIS IS A SERIOUS OFFER,ride on up to mbg pa and i will do the service for you,i will provide the oil and filter,honda filter,mobil one 15 w 50 oil,amsoil in final drive for $ 60.00 total,at an agreed upon evening after i get off work,no strings attached no labor fee,s just wingers helping winger,s pm me if interested,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Offer

Thanks for the offer!!

I can do the oil & oil filter change. However, I don't think I an able to change the air filter. I understand that is required for the 12,000 miles service. Also, there are other checks that are required.

I just want to make sure I don't void the warranty.

I'm new to the wing (I purchased the wing recently 11,900 miles). By the way, I have had six HD (sportsters to Ultra Classic) and they don't compare to the wing. I am so glad I purchased the wing.

Thanks Kris

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air Filter

Why wouldn't you change the filter. I figure after 13,000 miles it would be time to change it. Do they typically last longer?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I changed mine at 28k, it looked nearly new. next change will be around 50k if I need to go under the shelter for something else. I won't be concerned if its closer to 60k before it gets done.

Are the HD filters the oiled foam type? if so then yes they need to be done more often. The wing uses a automotive filter and can go much longer

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,548 Posts
Why wouldn't you change the filter. I figure after 13,000 miles it would be time to change it. Do they typically last longer?
I've changed more than a few air filters at 16000 miles just like the book says, but they all looked pretty clean and green at 16000 miles. IMO, in this area they can go 30K or more miles easily and that's how long I go with my Wing.....but if you really want to change the air filter ride up to Bear and for a cheap lunch, I will show you how to to it one Saturday morning...doesn't take that long....just did one a week ago for a friend. With your 08 you might want to also change the brake and clutch fluid, along with the radiator coolant....shouldn't need anything else but maybe tires.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Service

Thanks for the offer. However, I already have my bike scheduled. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts