GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done a number of items over the past year to our 2018 Goldwing DCT Standard to substantially improve passenger comfort:

1: WingSoft seat modification installed.
2: Traxxion Grab Rails installed.
3: Bend Honda passenger backrest bracket 15 degrees forward.
4: Slipstreamer Wraparound windshield.

Only remaining wish from my passenger after a recent 3,000 mile round trip was passenger floorboards that provide a wider range of foot positions fore and aft. She indicates that she can't move her foot forward much before going off the end of the stock floorboards. So her foot position is limited resulting in some knee discomfort on long rides.

Having given this some thought, I was able to reverse the floorboards which in effect moves the board surface forward almost 4 inches. With her boot all the way towards the rear of the bike the ball of her foot rests on the rear portion of the board. Moving the heal of her boot forward about 12 inches and she can rest the heal on the forward most portion of the board.

On the front edge of each board is a 0.25" diameter hole 0.60" deep that the ball detent spring fits into. To make the swap work I had to drill an identical hole on the trailing edge of each board so they would function as intended mounted on the opposite side of the bike. Removed about 1/8" of material from a small area of the plastic cover that was rubbing when the board was moved up and down.

Won't have a chance to ride until next weekend to get an opinion from my passenger. However I did sit on the back of the bike since the swap and it seems to make a big difference. Can now move your foot fore & aft about 12 inches compared to 4 or 5 before.

Due to the shape of the boards they don't seem to interfere with the riders legs anymore than when mounted in the stock position.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Clever, but I'd be leery of my boot catching the tip of floorboard..........and how do you put down the side-stand when on the bike?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
brilliant. ive been looking for the same solution for my wife.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clever, but I'd be leery of my boot catching the tip of floorboard..........and how do you put down the side-stand when on the bike?
Rode solo yesterday with the passenger boards folded out. No problems with my boot or back of my calf contacting the boards.

With the kickstand UP, the kickstand Barb is about even with the very forward tip of the floorboard and a good 4-1/2 inches below.

Getting to the kickstand barb with your boot heel to deploy the kickstand is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Rode solo yesterday with the passenger boards folded out. No problems with my boot or back of my calf contacting the boards.

With the kickstand UP, the kickstand Barb is about even with the very forward tip of the floorboard and a good 4-1/2 inches below.

Getting to the kickstand barb with your boot heel to deploy the kickstand is not an issue.
the notch, im sure helps with access. i know i hit the floor boards when theyre down every time i walk the bike now.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the notch, im sure helps with access. i know i hit the floor boards when theyre down every time i walk the bike now.
If you are straddling the bike and pushing it forward with the passenger floorboards out and in their stock position it hurts if the blunt front edge of the board hits the back of your calf.

With floorboards reversed, if the back of your calf makes contact, it's a gradual contact since the board now has a gradual angle in the front.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have done a number of items over the past year to our 2018 Goldwing DCT Standard to substantially improve passenger comfort:

1: WingSoft seat modification installed.
2: Traxxion Grab Rails installed.
3: Bend Honda passenger backrest bracket 15 degrees forward.
4: Slipstreamer Wraparound windshield.

Only remaining wish from my passenger after a recent 3,000 mile round trip was passenger floorboards that provide a wider range of foot positions fore and aft. She indicates that she can't move her foot forward much before going off the end of the stock floorboards. So her foot position is limited resulting in some knee discomfort on long rides.

Having given this some thought, I was able to reverse the floorboards which in effect moves the board surface forward almost 4 inches. With her boot all the way towards the rear of the bike the ball of her foot rests on the rear portion of the board. Moving the heal of her boot forward about 12 inches and she can rest the heal on the forward most portion of the board.

On the front edge of each board is a 0.25" diameter hole 0.60" deep that the ball detent spring fits into. To make the swap work I had to drill an identical hole on the trailing edge of each board so they would function as intended mounted on the opposite side of the bike. Removed about 1/8" of material from a small area of the plastic cover that was rubbing when the board was moved up and down.

Won't have a chance to ride until next weekend to get an opinion from my passenger. However I did sit on the back of the bike since the swap and it seems to make a big difference. Can now move your foot fore & aft about 12 inches compared to 4 or 5 before.

Due to the shape of the boards they don't seem to interfere with the riders legs anymore than when mounted in the stock position.
Great idea, now how about a water bottle holder using a Corbin seat? :grin2:

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
My wife also wants a bit more leg stretch & the Goldstrike pegs interferes with the rider. I will try this. Thanks!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife also wants a bit more leg stretch & the Goldstrike pegs interferes with the rider. I will try this. Thanks!
My biggest challenge was figuring out how to firmly hold the board without damaging the finish so I could drill a straight hole. I have a set of smooth aluminum jaw protectors for my vice so I was able to tightly clamp the board in place so that I could drill straight down into the board with a standard cordless drill. No damage to the finish.

I measured about 10 times to get the hole accurately located. I used a snap center punch to mark the hole center and drilled a 5/64" pilot hole 0.5" deep. Came back with the 1/4" drill bit and went to 0.6" deep.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Girlfriend and I went riding yesterday and she is very optimistic about about the new passenger floorboard location. Says she won't know for sure until she spends a long day on the back but says for sure she has a lot more room as far as foot position.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. Looks like an opportunity for an after market manufacturer to take your concept and make longer floorboards, using the OEM attachment point.
Have taken a couple of extended day rides with my girlfriend since swapping left & right passenger floorboards which in effect moves the boards forward almost 4 inches (see photos earlier in this thread).

One thing she really likes with the boards further forward, she's now able to drop her heel off the rear of the board. In this position it's almost like having her feet on foot pegs. So now she has choices:

1: Foot to the rear of the board with heel dropped off the rear edge like a foot peg.
2: Foot centered on the board and almost 4" forward from stock location.
3: Heel resting on the board with toes tilted up 10"-12" forward of stock location.

If there were to be an aftermarket solution, don't just make the board longer. Substantially decrease the rearward length of the boards to allow for position #1 above.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that my girlfriend and I have taken a couple of long day rides since swapping the left & right passenger floorboards. I can report the boards do not interfere in any way with my legs. I have a 34" inseam but don't think anyone with shorter legs would have a problem either.

The fact that the forward edge of each board is now curved inward, any incidental contact is quite gentle.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Now that my girlfriend and I have taken a couple of long day rides since swapping the left & right passenger floorboards. I can report the boards do not interfere in any way with my legs. I have a 34" inseam but don't think anyone with shorter legs would have a problem either.

The fact that the forward edge of each board is now curved inward, any incidental contact is quite gentle.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Transformer boards needed Kury or Goldstrike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts