GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember back when people were having designs or other things etched into their acrylic wind screens. You'd see simple patterns, peacocks, leopards, beautiful women, dragons, and everything else imaginable.

So I have to wonder, NOW that LASERS are out and affordable, why aren't people getting what would arguably be AMAZING things laser etched into their wind screens? It would seem that with the precision of a CNC laser and the advances in computer graphics, I would think that this would be the next natural "thing" with Goldwings.

I know that people are drifting away from chrome, but knowing what a good laser can do, I cannot imagine why this is not part of today's customization options.

Joe

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I remember back when people were having designs or other things etched into their acrylic wind screens. You'd see simple patterns, peacocks, leopards, beautiful women, dragons, and everything else imaginable.

So I have to wonder, NOW that LASERS are out and affordable, why aren't people getting what would arguably be AMAZING things laser etched into their wind screens? It would seem that with the precision of a CNC laser and the advances in computer graphics, I would think that this would be the next natural "thing" with Goldwings.

I know that people are drifting away from chrome, but knowing what a good laser can do, I cannot imagine why this is not part of today's customization options.

Joe

Sounds like a good business for you to sell franchises for.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I return from my tour, I am looking at purchasing a laser machine. I may well start a new trend!

Joe

·
Registered
468 Posts
Long ride shields used to do etching to wind shields. I had one on my harley that said US Army Retired on it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I built and used CNC-controlled router/carvers for quite a while, for wood and plastics. At least with that tooling CNC works great for flat materials. Full disclosure - I haven't used a laser machine, but I'd think the challenge would be mapping the curve of the windscreen so the laser could maintain a suitable distance from the material? Even though it's a laser, I'd think it still needs to be within a specific range to produce a quality image? Maybe I'm all wet.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Would it be possible to do an acid etch on either acrylic or poly-carbonate? Maybe the laser could be used to make a stencil for the acid.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I built and used CNC-controlled router/carvers for quite a while, for wood and plastics. At least with that tooling CNC works great for flat materials. Full disclosure - I haven't used a laser machine, but I'd think the challenge would be mapping the curve of the windscreen so the laser could maintain a suitable distance from the material? Even though it's a laser, I'd think it still needs to be within a specific range to produce a quality image? Maybe I'm all wet.
When you figure out how to mount the laser diode to your tool end, then all you have to figure out is the frequency needed for the windshield material you wish to engrave. One problem is see is controlling the laser during direction of the tool end. It would be fun getting it to work without producing a hole in the shield.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Some Etching was done with media blasting. A pattern was laid out and film removed to expose the etching surface. This would certainly work for acrylic and Lexan.

Corventure Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts