GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today ... As I was taking my second ride since a stroke 2 years ago it refreshed my memory. I did 40 miles today and as I approached home my 2003 Silver suddenly lost power. I rolled to a stop and tried not to panic. Since I'm not exactly working all cylinders myself I slowly started to check it out as best I could. Lights came on but no start. Call my wife so she wouldn't panic. She panic any way. I called several friends that live close and one that had a trailer. He said he would be down in about an hour.

I'm waiting ... I thought I call Gene @onan to see if he knew what it could be. He's the previous owner and a good friend. We talk ... And the Kill Switch came up ... I checked and that was the problem. How embarrassing! We had a good laugh at what had happened.

Since my right hand doesn't grip well sometimes I reach my left over to help with readjust the throttle. I must hit the Kill switch by mistake and didn't realize it.

I got it started and road home just fine totally embarrassed. It was probably good experience for me. I have so much to learn .. again. Wife has calm down now My dream is her worst nightmare. Oh Well ... It all worked out for the best.

Thanks Dick, Dave and Gene for your help. Having road thousands and thousands of miles .... Each new mile now presents new challenges daily ... Kill Switch relearned!

Thought I would share. Goldwing .... I'm coming for you next year .. God Willing!

Taken during the ride today ... Got to practice with the camera to using one hand

Donnie

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Today ... As I was taking my second ride since a stroke 2 years ago it refreshed my memory. I did 40 miles today and as I approached home my 2003 Silver suddenly lost power. I rolled to a stop and tried not to panic. Since I'm not exactly working all cylinders myself I slowly started to check it out as best I could. Lights came on but no start. Call my wife so she wouldn't panic. She panic any way. I called several friends that live close and one that had a trailer. He said he would be down in about an hour.

I'm waiting ... I thought I call Gene @onan to see if he knew what it could be. He's the previous owner and a good friend. We talk ... And the Kill Switch came up ... I checked and that was the problem. How embarrassing! We had a good laugh at what had happened.

Since my right hand doesn't grip well sometimes I reach my left over to help with readjust the throttle. I must hit the Kill switch by mistake and didn't realize it.

I got it started and road home just fine totally embarrassed. It was probably good experience for me. I have so much to learn .. again. Wife has calm down now My dream is her worst nightmare. Oh Well ... It all worked out for the best.

Thanks Dick, Dave and Gene for your help. Having road thousands and thousands of miles .... Each new mile now presents new challenges daily ... Kill Switch relearned!

Thought I would share. Goldwing .... I'm coming for you next year .. God Willing!

Taken during the ride today ... Got to practice with the camera to using one hand

Donnie
Been there, done that!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Been there on my ST1300 especially! Not while riding but trying to start up and that kill switch got bumped. My daughter was riding her NC700X and hit the kill switch and rolled into her friends driveway. She called me and I asked her to look at the kill switch. It was off.
Good luck on your recovery...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,611 Posts
Donnie, you're doing more than most of us by not giving up. Thank you for showing the way!

Glen

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,961 Posts
I would also have to say, "been there done that!!"

Not as bad not being able to get the cruise control to work, but oh well? Do you remember that story!? :LOL:

Good to see you were able to get out again!! Hang in there buddy ... (y)(y)

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
McDonald’s drive through I accidentally hit the kill switch last week, after I got my stuff the bike wouldn’t crank over, took about 10 embarrassing seconds to figure out what happened, but it was a nice relief when I noticed what had happened .

·
Registered
500 Posts
...Since my right hand doesn't grip well sometimes I reach my left over to help with readjust the throttle. I must hit the Kill switch by mistake and didn't realize it....
I don't know you so mine may be a more impartial observation but reading the statement I quoted would indicate more hand therapy may be required? It just seems dangerous to have to reach the throttle with the left hand.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know you so mine may be a more impartial observation but reading the statement I quoted would indicate more hand therapy may be required? It just seems dangerous to have to reach the throttle with the left hand.
Well .... many things in life are. I'm as careful as I can be ... I certainly don't want to hurt anyone by my action during my recovery. Am I reckless? .. hardly .. but technically you're right. I can name many things people do everyday that are dangerous too. You are entitled to your opinion. I have expressed mine.

Thanks for your input.

Donnie

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Hey Donnie, Just glad to see that you're getting out and about! That kill switch has gotten me too.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Brother I’m so glad you are getting better and doing what you love! Hang in there my friend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
McDonald’s drive through I accidentally hit the kill switch last week, after I got my stuff the bike wouldn’t crank over, took about 10 embarrassing seconds to figure out what happened, but it was a nice relief when I noticed what had happened .
No need to be embarrassed, Cycledude... it is allowed up to one minute for one to figure out why the bike would just suddenly quit...

A grace period is allowed for up to five minutes if you are over the age of 60...

After five minutes, or if you call for help for any reason... only to find it's the kill switch, it's appropriate to be embarrassed... points accessed against your MOTORCYCLIST card... one point on your MAN card...

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Last month I was out riding and entered a drive thru diner, I noticed a group of Harley's rider's all looking over a bike, and scratching their heads.. Being that I was on a Honda, I didn't want to interfear.and get involved with their problem....As I was eating I noticed (actually overheard) one of them mentioning that they never had a problem starting this machine ever...Well, not wanting to get into a Harley's owner's business, I asked if they check'd the kill switch ....They all looked at me like I had three heads, BUT looked at the switch, and sure enough it was shut off... Too my surprise, the own'rr was so happy that his bike started, that he came over dropped a ten dollar bill, on my table, and actually said that : , "I'm paying for your meal..... Now that was a surprise, cause he was all dressed in black, hair down the back of his shoulders, w/ tatoo's all over his body.....

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I had a similar experience a couple summers ago while riding in stop and go traffic. While executing one of many stops, I caught my pant leg on the side stand without realizing it which killed the engine. I was in the midst of traffic - on a bridge - with a cement mixer truck close behind me no doubt cursing the dumb ass biker blocking his progress for no apparent reason. Took me about 15 seconds of frantic trouble shooting to realize what happened. Stand returned - hit start - and all was well again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well .... many things in life are. I'm as careful as I can be ... I certainly don't want to hurt anyone by my action during my recovery. Am I reckless? .. hardly .. but technically you're right. I can name many things people do everyday that are dangerous too. You are entitled to your opinion. I have expressed mine.

Thanks for your input.

Donnie
I’m sure glad you didn’t post your picture riding a wheelie without a helmet and your hair on fire.
(Well, maybe your hair wasn’t on fire)
Cheers to keeping it a little against the grain and Enjoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You ask for it ...

DonnieOnTheRoad at 18 years old try to learn how to do wheelie.

In all seriousness ... @gdb069 is right safety for everyone is very important.

We are all different. Some people believe I'm crazy .. they may be right but now at least I'm only trying to ride with a stroke under my belt

I don't want to argue with anyone .. I won't win. Let's move on and realize we are are all different and leave it at that.

Donnie

·
Registered
350 Posts
Donnie, you keep doing the things that are right for YOU!!

Another kill switch story.. I once had stopped for gas and after filling up, went inside to get a soda. Got on the bike and was ready to go but no joy. After a couple tries, I got off the bike to investigate further....however I did not put the kick stand back down ...and over she went.

Two brain farts at one stop!!!😌

1 - 20 of 33 Posts