GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the occasion to go to a website showing a Garmin 2820. I again noticed it comes (and some other well-appointed GPSs come) with a remote control. I've always been meaning to ask this question: under what circumstances exactly are these remotes being used? Certainly not by the vehicle operator, right?

I guess I'm not a visionary but honestly, I just don't "get" it. I mean does the wife in the front or kids in the back seat add waypoints or switch screens? Don't even TRY to convince me it would be used on our scoots! I realize the 2820 is a stupendous product but could somebody who has been present during the operation of a remote on a GPS please just put my curiosity to rest? -- because right now I'm thinking it's about as practical as a fur-lined sink or a gasoline-powered turtleneck sweater. Thanks.

BTW, I'd ask this question over at my VTX forum but they'd probably respond with, "Well, uh, is it chrome....?" :wink:

·
Registered
624 Posts
mbresso,

For some reason, every time you ask a question I get the feeling you're trying to pick a fight. I guess it's your condescending demeanor. :D

But, for an answer to your question, I've used the remote on my SP 2730 a few times while on ac power in the house. I suppose it can be handy for performing certain tasks in the home or in a car.

Examples are when the passenger of the auto is listening to an audio book or some music and wants to control the volume or advance to a new chapter or song, etc. I can conceive of a passenger on a motorcycle using it for the same purposes.

I find the remote as less than useful for my purposes. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luckyman said:
For some reason, every time you ask a question I get the feeling you're trying to pick a fight. I guess it's your condescending demeanor. :D
Gulp! Well, I know I'm a fighter for my beloved Zumo but I am very sorry then that I've left that general and overall impression. It is certainly the way I state things and because of my many shortcomings I'm sure. Thank you for the criticism I apologize and will take it to heart.

In any event, my question was bona fide and innocent. Thank you for taking the time to answer, I now have a better understanding about remotes, or at least your explanation re usage was certainly very plausible.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Was wondering if anyone ever used the remote.....Can't even tell you if mine works......Still in plastic it was shipped in...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Mine is velcroed on the Gold Wing logo above the tank. I use it to change screens at a traffic light, stop etc. I'm no into riding one handed with the other hand using a remote.

on the 2610 its much easier to get into a route using the remote rather than using the screen/buttons.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
While I have never used it on the bike, in the car I use it quite a bit, a lot better than reaching towards the dash and trying to push the screen, plus it keeps the screen cleaner....moving the curser around on the map, zooming in and out, the find feature for rest, service, etc.....quite handy....

I could see attaching it to the bike somehow and using it for the same reasons, not as often, also sitting still you could use it a lot.....

Oh, I'm the one that bought the remote from the board member, thanks....

Guess that's why Honda made theirs the way they did, no remote, no fooling around while driving???????? Makes sense, right?

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
It would make Jon's dash mout feasable for me. I could mount the GPS on the dash, in my line of sight, and still be able to operate it. That's the one reason I don't mount my GPS on the dash; I can't easily reach it.

I do switch back an forth between screens. I also like to skip songs or zoom in or out. On the zumo I can also reach the fuel icon when it comes up if it's closer. A remote would solve that.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Rastoff
I was talking about the GPS on the dashborad of the car, not the bike....using the autonav kit (bean bag)... :wink:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that it's past 10pm PST I guess we can put this to bed. Thanks everybody for your answers to my questions. Illuminating.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I've installed electronic pickups in my helemt.

Then I wired them to the remote.

Now I just "think" about what I want the Garmin to do and it does it.
:wink:

My brother says if add any more gadgets to my wing I'll be able to send it out for a ride by itself
... then it can just report back to me what it saw.
:lol:

Dennis

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use the remote all the time on my trike. It is velcroed to a holder on the left handlebar mount. I use it to change scales, find motels and eating places , etc.

Since the remote isn't waterproof, I take it off at the first sprinkle.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
In a car it allows the unit to be mounted in a very visible location that may not be easily reachable for quick zoom/pans and "speaks" while driving. (The left side of the dash perhaps!)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mike, I am surprised you didn't know about the remote and how to use it. It is particularly great for the passenger who wants to control the unit without having to lean forward and enter everything via the screen.

Also, I know someone who has velcroed it to their steering wheel to do some adjustments while driving but I limit myself to doing as little as possible while driving as it is too distracting. I don't even use my cell phone while driving.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
xxxrider said:
Mike, I am surprised you didn't know about the remote and how to use it. It is particularly great for the passenger who wants to control the unit without having to lean forward and enter everything via the screen.

Also, I know someone who has velcroed it to their steering wheel to do some adjustments while driving but I limit myself to doing as little as possible while driving as it is too distracting. I don't even use my cell phone while driving.
Actually I DID know about it and of course know how to use a remote per se, it's just that never having owned a GPS that came with one myself I simply always wondered under what circumstances if any it was being used. Honestly, I'm finding folks' answers fascinating -- including yours! I'm using a Nuvi 660 in my car but hate the window-mounted arm (so I went with a dash-mounted ProClip setup); but I DO know that the window-mounted setup put the GPS is further away, maybe THAT would be remote-able for somebody. Like I said, all interesting! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
My ace navigator uses it from her seat whether it's in the car or on the bike. everything from making reservations to listening to audio books, she's become quite proficient with it......plus.....one can never have too many remotes :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts