GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
The remote battery dying or changing it won't cause the bike to forget the remote. You probably have broken wires or a blown "battery" fuse or both.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine quit working,and when I went to replace the battery,the o-ring for the cover was broken,and everything was corroded up inside.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
Pull your battery out of yours and let it sit for a few days. I just sold one to a fellow member here. I never use them. I pull the batteriess out of them, toss em in the tool box. The one "remote" I just sold to a fellow member here a few weeks ago had been in the tool box for months. I tossed in a battery and no go! Had to reprogram it to make sure it was a good one before shipping it to the fellow member.

Now your right if you catch em with a low battery and just do a change out, but if a guy loses his battery at say the begining of winter and that remote sets for months, it will need reprogramed. That is what I have found to be the case.
The one you pulled out and sold, was it working your bike before you tossed it into the drawer? The fob is just a transmitter with a hard coded number that it transmits to the bike unit. The bike unit is what you are programming when you do the procedure so that it remembers the code and the codes of up to 2 more fobs at the same time. The fob will transmit the same signal no matter how long the battery is out of it. The bike should remember that fob no matter how long it goes without using it if it has been programmed into the bike unit's memory to start with.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Got a friends working by repairing the broken wire causedby the trunk lid wire routing... Right were the hinge is the wiring bundle gets bent far to much each time the trunk is opened and closed... Both of us have now removed the wiring from the holders near the hinges and routed the wires to go down near the back center of the passenger seat ... Sorry I don't recall the color of the wire but white with red trace sticks in my mind... The break will be right at the sharpest bend on the right hand side as you are face the trunk... I used a crimp barrel connector with water proof shrink wrap so as to not make the wire any more brittle by soldering it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts