GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually use the remote key fob for anything, but recently I noticed that the feature for sounding the horn remotely doesn't work. The rest of it works just fine. Any suggestions? Oh, and I popped it open and couldn't find anything wrong, like dirt in it or anything like that. Mystified. Thanks in advance.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
You are holding that button down for more than 2 seconds? If you push and hold that button down for more than 2 seconds, does the turn signals flash twice?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't usually use the remote key fob for anything, but recently I noticed that the feature for sounding the horn remotely doesn't work. The rest of it works just fine. Any suggestions? Oh, and I popped it open and couldn't find anything wrong, like dirt in it or anything like that. Mystified. Thanks in advance.
Possibly lack of use has allowed the switch contacts to corrode. Maybe some spray contact cleaner might help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does the horn work when you use the horn button on the handle bars?
Could just be a horn problem.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the horn work when you use the horn button on the handle bars?
Could just be a horn problem.
Horn works using the horn button on the handlebars, but not using the fob. If I hold the red bar switch down for more than 2 seconds, the turn signals flash twice.

Now what?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
OK, that helps. You probably have a broken wire in the trunk's right side hinge area. The lights flashing means the fob is good and the receiver is good. The horn blowing is controlled by the solid pink wire coming from the trunk control unit and going to a relay in the box under the seat. These wires breaking in the hinge area is quite common.

The horn blowing from the handlebar switch is a completely different circuit.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
OK, that helps. You probably have a broken wire in the trunk's right side hinge area. The lights flashing means the fob is good and the receiver is good. The horn blowing is controlled by the solid pink wire coming from the trunk control unit and going to a relay in the box under the seat. These wires breaking in the hinge area is quite common.

Roger that. All correct.
As for the one who asked if any owner can buy an extra remote key fob, yep, you can from the dealer but, be prepared to take out a loan. They're real proud of their key fobs. So, a suggestion would be to do what many here on the GL site have done and that's go onto ebay, and search for "key fob" with the same exact FCC number that you have on the back of yours. The last time I looked, there were over a dozen available with that same FCC number. The ranged from about $10.00 to $50.00. Even at $50.00, that's cheaper than a replacement one specific for your Wing.

They're also the same key fob as some Honda model cars. Honda does not like you to know that. Many Civics and others use the same key fob. You just have to have the correct FCC number and, once you acquire it, it's a simply programming operation that takes about 15 seconds and you've got your second, third or how ever many fobs you desire.
Scott

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK. That is the situation. I recently noticed a broken wire on the right side of the trunk when I opened it and wondered what it controlled, as all systems were operational. Never suspected it went to the circuit controlled by the remote. I can fix that. Looks like I have a 5 minute job to do when I get home from this rally. Thanx so much for the info. I appreciate it.

Don't need an extra fob, though.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Roger that. All correct.
As for the one who asked if any owner can buy an extra remote key fob, yep, you can from the dealer but, be prepared to take out a loan. They're real proud of their key fobs. So, a suggestion would be to do what many here on the GL site have done and that's go onto ebay, and search for "key fob" with the same exact FCC number that you have on the back of yours. The last time I looked, there were over a dozen available with that same FCC number. The ranged from about $10.00 to $50.00. Even at $50.00, that's cheaper than a replacement one specific for your Wing.

They're also the same key fob as some Honda model cars. Honda does not like you to know that. Many Civics and others use the same key fob. You just have to have the correct FCC number and, once you acquire it, it's a simply programming operation that takes about 15 seconds and you've got your second, third or how ever many fobs you desire.
Scott

Good info. :thumbup: Keep in mind that if you want multiple fobs, the bike can learn and store only 3 at a time.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Same here, 2 broken wires. Needed to unwrap to check and found a broken red and green with black stripe. All is working after I soldered them back together.:bow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts