GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have returned from inside a store several times now to find my trailer lid standing open. At first I thought it was because I accidentally hit the button on the remote in my pocket while walking into the store, but yesterday I was standing outside the store with the remote in my hand not touching the buttons when the lid popped up. I know I didn't touch the button because this was the second time it had opened in the same parking lot so I held it in my hand to make sure it wasn't me. I'm thinking it must be someone elses remote opening my lid when they are unlocking there doors as this has only happened in crowded parking lots. Anyway, I have disabled the remote until I can figure out a solution. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I realize not a lot of people do not have remote openers on their trailers but it is a nice luxury when it works right. Sorry for the long story but thanks in advance to anyone for their ideas. :cry:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Frank,

I've had the same thing happen a bunch of times. I have opened the trailer using the remote and several seconds later hear the lid latch release again with the remote laying in the motorcycle trunk. I too have returned to find the trailer lid open or looked out the motel window and see it open. Mine is a 2006 Elite. I had a 2002 Elite and never had this problem. I haven't contacted California Sidecar, but probably will since you have reminded me of the problem.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray, I sent this same question to California Side Car yesterday. If they get back with me with any solutions to try I will let you know. I also had the trailer hooked up to the bike in the garage yesterday and walked out once to find it open. The remote was in the bike at the time. I have disabled mine until I come up with a fix. :(

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I thought the ignition had to be on to use the remote opener?

EDIT: I just checked mine and the bike has to have the ignition on for it to unlock.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
As far as the ignition having to be on it depends how the trailer was wired up.

I can open mine when coming back to the bike with no key in the bike.

However I have never came back and it was open nor have any of my traveling companions.

If you read my response to Mailman you will see that mine pops up ever such a little which I beleive has caused it to leak.

I hope you can get som satisfaction from CSC.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Jwen, odd that some would be wired differently than others, I wonder what lead from the harness is hot with the ignition off? Also when you mention the lid popping up a slightly; I've noticed that when I close mine its as if it clicks down to levels when I close it. The opnly problem Ihave had is the lid sticking sometimes to the rubber seal. I need to find something to keep that lubricated that wont destroy the rubber.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joseph, my bike also is wired so the remote open switch will operate any time that the trailer is plugged into the bike. I suppose I could solve the problem by wiring it to only work with the key turned on, on the bike but that sort of defeats the purpose of the remote opener in my mind. To me, being able to walk out of the store or motel with bags in one hand and hit the remote is the advantage of having a remote opener, if I have to put a key in the ignition anf turn it on I might as well put it in the trailer and turn that lock. Just my opinion however.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have to agree with papafrank as well.

It is in my opinion the way it should work as if getting into your car with a remote you don't need to have the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I agree, Still wonder which wire is hot all the time? The lead from the opener goes directly to the taillight wiring. I need to take a look see.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joseph, the wiring diagram for the trailer shows the black wire for accessories such as interior lights and openers. I wired my receptical for the back of the bike myself and I ran a black wire for this that I fused directly from an added fuse block I had previously wired to the bike. Hope that answers your question. My wiring expertise will probably turn out to be the source of my remote opener problem, but I sure can't see it and everything else works properly.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I was on a trip once going down an Interstate, and heard my wife scream from the pillion seat that the lid to our '02 Escapade trailer was open. I kept my remote in the fairing lockable compartment and we had ridden in a heavy rain the previous day. I lost a few lightweight items that were not secured in the trailer, but who keeps items secured in there anyway?

I disabled the remote by removing the battery and noticed that the inside of the remote was very wet. Once everything got dried inside the remote, I reinstalled the battery in it, and sealed it in a small ziplock bag, and still keep it in the same compartment.

I haven't experienced additional problems with it since. Have you guys with problems with your remote ever got it wet?
I know that my remote opener in the trailer is wired to the dome light circuit, which is always hot and you don't need the ignition on as long as the trailer is hooked-up to the trailer electronically.

For that gentleman with the seal sticking, just before every trip, I lubricate the seal all the way around with silicone spray and never had a problem.
PS: It wouldn't be a bad idea to spray some in the keyhole as well.

Sorry about the winded post, but I thought I'd want to help.

Happy trailering,

Mike

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, I don't know about before I bought it, but my trailer hasn't had an opportunity to get wet in the 2 plus months that I have owned it. Evidently there is no seperate battery for the remote opener on mine as it will only operate if the bike is hooked to the trailer. I have the fuse pulled on it right now until I can figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Pawpawfrank, your remote must have a battery in it. I don't see how it would operate if it didn't have one.
My remote has a screw on the backside that I used to remove the battery when I had the unwanted opening at highway speed.
Unless they've changed the style of it, perhaps the new remotes are of the "snap together" type, but whatever the case may be, a battery has to be involved. How else would it send the signal to the trailer's opener? What sort of power would it use. The remote uses a radio signal to operate the trailer's opener which is powered by your bike's battery, but the remote must have a battery to send the signal.

No different than a typical garage door opener. A radio signal is sent to the opener, but the remote is powered by a battery.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mistake Mike, I thought you were talking about the opener itself getting wet. :oops: :oops: Yes, you are correct the remote itself does require a battery to operate and no it has not been wet either, at least not since I have owned it.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
My Bushtec horn don't work

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Pawpawfrank,

Now that we've established that, I'd like to suggest that you take your remote controllers apart and check to see if the battery/ies has or have leaked and corroded the innards. Yes, even the small flat watch batteries leak. My trailer came with 2 remotes, check both of them. If there is some leakage, and it's minimal, you can clean it out easily. If it's a massive leak, perhaps the corrosion is putting pressure on the opening switch and it's not too late to get it to function properly again, or the remote is toast and new ones are in order (then, I don't know how you'd program the new remotes to work with your existing opener).
That being said, I'm afraid that's all I can offer, other than calling California Sidecar in Arrington, VA, or is that Colleen, VA (the factory where I went to pick up my trailer) and see what they suggest.

I'd be interested in your resolve just in case I'd have to go through it as well.

Ride safely,

Mike

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike, here is the answer I got from CSC.
Mr Craver, Please call Cindy in the parts dept. @ 1-434-253-8866. We have seen a couple of remotes that will open about 45 to 90 seconds after you use the remote. Please try your remote, close the lid and watch your watch for us to see if this is the problem. Thank you, Dwight Harrington

I might add he is right on the money. Mine operated at 55 seconds. I will call Cindy tomorrow during business hours to find out what the fix is. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help. :wink:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good Luck. Try NOT to deal with Dwight. He is a BIG pain in the a$$. He and I have been in quite a pi$$ing contest about my trailer lid paint for a few months now. My trailer is back there right now getting the paint reworked. It has been there since mid Nov. I talked to him last Friday, and he said that it should be shipped sometime this week. So far I haven't had the problem that you have, but I will be watching very closely to see what the fix is just in case my remotes decide to go haywire. I love my Escapade, but their customer service sucks in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts