GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't use the Honda GPS on my bike. I use a Garmin 376C because of the weather radar and laptop programming. We are in Europe for a few weeks and I brought that gps with me because of the Europe maps in it.

This morning at the Hotel in Venice (actually Mestre, near Venice), I went out to the car. (Hotel was secured by fence all the way around). I had put the GPS on the floor of the car for the night (dumb move). The GPS was gone.

I went inside and said to my wife, "do you have the GPS." When she said "no" my heart sunk into my feet.

The desk clerk said, "...is it a Garmin?" When I said "yes" she said, "we found one in the garden last night.....some people broke into the fence and began to steal from the cars. Our security man shouted at them and they put their stuff down and ran." It was my garmin in pefect working order. Wheeeeeew.

I thought for sure the car was locked. I will never.....ever......ever....leave it in the car again, regardless of how secure the hotel is. I know how lucky I am.

What good luck after a dumb move.

JLK

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Glad it worked out for ya !!

I have a Garmin 660 that I use with both the bike and the car....I never.....EVER leave it in the car.

On a related note......alot of folks have "home" programmed into their GPS. Not a smart idea. If your GPS gets stolen, they know you arent' home.....and now, they know where "home" is.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Where in Venice can you park at a hotel? I thought the only parking on the island was at the main car park, and you had to walk or go by water from there. Or, was this a near-Venice resort? Just wondering, as I've only had the good fortune to go there once. A beautiful city, and one that should be on everyone's bucket list. I was there in May of '91 - perfect weather. We stayed in Montegroto Terme, about 50 kilometers away.

BTW, are Garmin's Europe maps as good (or hopefully better) than the US maps? I bought a card for either my daughter or I to use in our Nuvis when we have to go to Germany on business. We will primarily be walking.

Motorcycle tie-in: I use a Streetpilot 2730 on the bike, in the Garmin mount. It has never been messed with.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in Venice can you park at a hotel? I thought the only parking on the island was at the main car park, and you had to walk or go by water from there. Or, was this a near-Venice resort?

BTW, are Garmin's Europe maps as good (or hopefully better) than the US maps? I bought a card for either my daughter or I to use in our Nuvis when we have to go to Germany on business. We will primarily be walking.

You are correct, there are no cars in Venice. As I mentioned in my original post "actually Mestre, near Venice". The Garmin Euopean program is very good. Has most of the roads...even the mountain trails.

JLK

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Glad to hear you LUCKED out. Most of the time it would be long gone.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I had something similar happen in San Pedro, CA, several years ago. I went to a KFC and paid for my order. To keep from holding up the line, I dropped my change into the console and moved on. Well, I forgot to take the change out of the console when I got back to the hotel parking deck and locked the car doors for the night. Next morning, a window was broken out and no change in the console. The parking deck was patrolled by security, but the thief apparently knew the security officers' schedule and knew when to peep into car windows and do the "hit". It was a rental car and I was a little concerned that the rental car company would try to force me to pay for the window, considering the circumstances, but they did not.

Oh well, lesson learned.

2W

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Glad to hear you LUCKED out. Most of the time it would be long gone.
Yeah maybe but my experience in various parts of Italy has been different. I was buying cigarettes at a store front in Florence and had laid my wallet on the counter while I fished in my pockets for Euro coins (I hate those things) and walked off and left it. They lady manning the store chased me down half a block away to return it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts