GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to safely remove my Honda heated grips from my 06 Wing without destroying the grips and the heating elements.

Would like some ideas on how to get underneath them without tearing up the heating elements.

Also, where do the two long cables that connect each grip plug into? Want to unplug them and maybe use them in colder weather...not much use here in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Appreciate anyone responding who has done it or had it done ......

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have not yet tried an 06 with heated grips but what I do to remove other grips without any damage is: take a small hypodermic needle and fill with carb cleaner from an aerosol can and inject that in several places around the grip, wait several minutes and then just slide the grip off. I push the needle through on a sharp angle (about 15 deg off the bars) and push it in till I feel it hit the solid bar under the grip. The aerosol carb cleaner will dissolve the glue in 5 – 10 minutes, just one caution-protect the paint from any drips of the cleaner with rags.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm planning to do the same with mine, I have the Chrome Honda Heated ones to put on. I fashoned a tool to get between the bar and the grip out of a piece of copper pipe. I cut the pipe down it's length leaving about 1/4 of the pipes circumfrence. I then rounded the tip into a point and filed the edges rounded so as to be able to get under the rubber without damaging it. It seems like it is going to do the job. Just waiting until I have to take the top shelter off for something else. If you want a picture of the tool PM me.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Look under the handle bars,and you'll see where the Heated grips plug into.
Wire from grips is about 6 inches long,into male/female connectors..
unplug them,then twist the grip clock wise as you pull them backwards..
Try this on the left grip first..

That is how I removed mine to put on my ISO grips..I found white adhesive tape on the bars when the grips came off..

I left the other wires to controller,in the handle bars where they were.I just taped them off.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Why do you want to remove them? I find them useful on really cool mornings. If you want a larger grip then get the foam that goes over the grips. You can still feel the heat thru them and are a bit larger for larger hands. Works for me and the foam grips are very inexpensive.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Just in case

If you go for heated grips, then get a set of these. No hot spots and stay nice and warm. I wear only IronClad work gloves and the heated grips no matter what the temp. Have not used my heated gloves in a long time.

http://grip-tek.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=7

or, when you open up the Grip Tek website click on "Specialty Grips" and that's where you will find it.

Look at the top "specialty grip" ID: GC Product: grip cover
Select GCM 5.00 fits bar sizes 1.25" to 1.45" from the drop down

$15.00 for three sets (6 grips) shipping ground is $4.73

http://ironclad.jbytes.com/www/productD ... 44&catID=4

I wear Iron Clad Icon Extremes on the wing in cold weather and their Cargo Bull on my quad all the time. These things will out last me- all the gloves I ever bought at the dealer (FOX etc) wore out in less than a year.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Re: Removal of Honda Heated Grips with destroying them? How

Basspro said:
I want to safely remove my Honda heated grips from my 06 Wing without destroying the grips and the heating elements.

Would like some ideas on how to get underneath them without tearing up the heating elements.

Also, where do the two long cables that connect each grip plug into? Want to unplug them and maybe use them in colder weather...not much use here in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Appreciate anyone responding who has done it or had it done ......
Hey Basspro,
I just took the heated grips off my 07 yesterday.
I see where Rocky has posted some instructions
but mine were not connected like his were at all.
I got the left grip off by dripping alcohol into the gap between the grip and the switch module.
I used a small eyedropper and tilted the bars so the end was lower.
Then as I dripped the alcohol into the grip I kept lightly twisting the grip,
It took a couple of minutes but I could see the drops of Alcohol
were soaking into the joint of the grip and the metal bar,
so I kept at it and the alcohol finally ran all the way through the grip
and started coming out the end of the bar.
When that happened, the grip started to move to my light twisting.
I kept up the drip and before long the grip started slipping freely and off it came.
You have to twist lightly or you could stretch the grip and mess up the heat tape inside.

I like Cal-D's post about using the hypodermic needle, but would be very careful
or you could hit the heat tape in the grip when poking through it.

Since I was installing the Chrome Honda heated grips, and they came with a new throttle tube for the right side,
I didn't try to remove the old grip from the tube but just took the whole thing off as one piece.
I recommend you just get another throttle tube from Honda and do the same thing.
That way you won't have to worry about messing it up taking it off or putting it back on later.

The wiring on my 07 factory heated grips doesn't have any connectors to unplug
until you follow the wires back under the shelter.
The connectors for both grips are just to the right of the cruise module under the radio area of the shelter.
(It's right where the CB radio connector is if you've ever been in there to add the CB.)
I have the shelter off for other additions so I'm not sure about being able to reach those connectors
by taking out the right pocket.
However, I had to take the cable retainers off the undersides of both handlebars,
unscrew the two metal clamps on the bottom of the switch modules (right at the grips),
take the plastic cover off the top triple tree,
take the metal cable clamp off there also and snake those cables out of the bundle
that runs back under the shelter to the connectors.
I'd say the cables coming off the original heated grips on my 07 are at least 3 feet long.
That's not nearly as long as this post, so I better stop before I short something out. :lol:
Good luck!
DC

·
Registered
311 Posts
DC,
Thanks for the detail. I also have the Chrome heated grips to put on my 06. How do you like them?

Thanks,

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks DC

I do have the airbag version so my radio is on the left fairing panel...the right pocket is fixed covering the radiator cap etc. I guess I am asking exactly where these two leads to both grips plug into..the exact location of the plugs....I can kind of see the cables coming from the grips and remove the handlebar retaining plates to free them up...but after they go down the dark hole of the fork tubes....I am not sure where they finally wind up??

So if anyone has any pics of the airbag version and the location..it would be very helpful if you can post that info..

thanks for all who replied..especially DC....that is the kind of cooperative responses members can get from a helpful member...
!My hat is off to you sir!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
LeeBos said:
DC,
Thanks for the detail. I also have the Chrome heated grips to put on my 06. How do you like them?

Thanks,
Hey LeeBos,
Well, they look pretty.
Let's see....
Yep, that about covers all my experience with them so far. :lol: :lol:
Have the bike tore down to install all the necessary items
to turn this piece of junk into something ridable.
When will Honda take a lesson from the Christmas tree manufacturers?
You know, they have started building the trees with all the lights built right in. :lol:
If Honda would do that it sure would save a lot of work. :wink:
Actually, I like to work on the bikes. It's like my show car hobby in a way...
just a whole lot less expensive. :roll: :lol:
DC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts