GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an unused helmet that has the name of the original owner painted on the rear of the helmet. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to remove this pinstripping without damaging the helmet.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I just purchased an unused helmet that has the name of the original owner painted on the rear of the helmet. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to remove this pinstripping without damaging the helmet.

Well it is very hard to decide what to tell you because you first say his name is painted on the helmet, then you say "how to remove the pinstipping.

If it is indeed pinstripping, you can use your wife's hair dryer (for heat) and a piece of fishing string.
After heating up sections of the pinstripping, you work the string back and forth under the pinstriping like a saw blade.

Once removed you can use WD-40 by spraying a small amount on a rag and wiping the glue residue off the helmet.

Now if it is painted on.... Take it to a local body shop and ask them for their advice..since they would be the pro's..

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
When I had my bike pinstriped (he also did my helmet), the artist recommended using Easy-Off oven cleaner if I ever wanted to remove it. He said it would absolutely not harm the paint. Now having said that, I have never done it, so I can't testify as to how well it works. But for a pinstriper to make that kind of recommendation, it must work. You may want to try a small test spot in an inconspicuous location on your helmet first just to be sure it doesn't damage the helmet's shell.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used the Oven Cleaner to remove minor pin stripping to major murals with excellent results.

If the base color is faded, then the base color under what you are removing will be less faded and possibly noticeable.

Start out with a "Q" tip and just use a little oven cleaner on a very small patch of what you want removed. See how it goes. If you are happy with the results, go full bore.

Not as bad as it might seem.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
For painted on pin striping, I use chrome polish. Takes off the striping and polishes the base paint at the same time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Used "easy-off" oven cleaner in the past with excellent results.
I was told by a body shop owner that Easy-off is what they use.
It wont hurt the helmet but you may have a faint image left over because the helmet under the paint wasn't exposed to the sun and didn't fade.
That happened to me when I removed the name from a boat I bought.

·
Registered
240 Posts
when i got my bike it had someones name on it i uesd 1000 1500 2000 grit sandpaper and water and sanded it off them lite compond

1 - 9 of 9 Posts