GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a bad spot in my rear tire. Manual says to remove the seat first. Is that just to disconnect the electrical plug? Do I really have to do that? Also will my Sears bike lift work or do I have to lay bike down on it's side? Hurry cause I want to ride right now..LOL...thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You can remove the rear tire from the center stand. Remove the rear panel (license plate first), remove the 5 allen bolts securing the rear panel, then the tire will roll out from under the bike after taking off the 5 lug nuts. You will want a long breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts. If you have a trailer hitch, this will have to be removed first.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The guy that removed mine didn't remove the seat. It is my understanding a lift is sufficient. You may have to remove the rear panel to pull the tire out if it doesn't get the bike high enuff for the tire to drop out.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Don't take the seat off, that's a waste of time. You can get the tire off even without the lift. Just put it on the center stand, remove the back fender (license plate, then the five bolts). Be careful when removing the fender so not to break the tangs. Remove one bolt from the cross member. Unscrew the five automotive lug nuts. Remove the tire and then squeeze it around the frame and the differential and roll it out the back.

regards,

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its no April fools. I am a fairly mechanical person, just my first time with a wing tire. I did remove the seat to disconnect that electrical plug. Going to raise it far enough now to remove tire, thanks for the replies, I will come back in 5 minutes to check again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Red is right! Your jack will raise it high enough to drop the tire straight down. Just be sure to strap the bike to the jack good. Alan :)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm done! Wasn't as bad as I thought. Thanks for the support. Hardest part was getting the seat bolts lined up. Tire dropped out with just the center stand. Didn't need the lift. Wish I didn't have to remove the seat next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts