GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my stock saddlebag moldings with chrome lighted moldings. It was no problem removing the side moldings from the doors but after removing the two phillips head screws for the corner moldings they just do not want to come off. By pushing a small allen key through one of the holes it will come out a little but seems to hold solid on the ends. Can anyone tell me the secret method which the instructions do not include? Many thanks in advance for the replies guys.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I am replacing my stock saddlebag moldings with chrome lighted moldings. It was no problem removing the side moldings from the doors but after removing the two phillips head screws for the corner moldings they just do not want to come off. By pushing a small allen key through one of the holes it will come out a little but seems to hold solid on the ends. Can anyone tell me the secret method which the instructions do not include? Many thanks in advance for the replies guys.
There is a piece of double sided sticky tape behind this piece of molding.
It will come out.........just pry ever so slightly. A little bit of heat from a hair dryer might help loosen the tape. Just don't heat it to much!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yes the tape seems a silly idea and you will need some good DS tape when putting it back on so the moulding won't flap out at the edge. Either 3M DS tape or the No More Nails stuff will work well.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I thought the doors were a pain in the neck...but it paid off in the end...

·
Registered
469 Posts
What color are you taking off? I've been looking for some black ones to put on my white wing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
DBL sided tape

If they are Kury's, they come with the double sided tape on them already. It took longer to get the old tape off, than the rest of the job, as far as the corners go. I just installed them on my 08 metallic red, and they really look good against the red, the extra lights sure don't hurt either.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success!!! Thanks Guys

Thank you for your suggestions, I wound up getting impatient and before the replies started coming in I went and had another go at it. After looking at the new ones I came to the conclusion the old ones probable had tape in the same place so I hit it with a hairdrier and prized if off with a flat screwdriver. The wiring all went well, they all work and everything is back together. Ride on!!
PS: Someone asked what color the old ones were, they are illusion blue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts