GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dislike the hard factory grips and have Kury ISO's to go on them..don't need the heated grips too often in Daytona Beach Fla.

Has anyone removed them without damaging them, and how hard is it to remove the wires that go to them from where?

I am sure they are a plug in arrangement somewhere down below. Would like to know how to get to them and if I can salvage them to maybe reinstall at a later date if I need them...hate to destroy a 225.00 option if I can save them for later...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.....

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey Basspro,
I bought some inexpensive slip over foam cushion grips for mine, "grip puppies" they help but look kinda cheap. Here's another option I've considered. Pros: OEM Hondaline replacement, Look more comfortable. Cons: Expensive, they're chrome.
Terry

·
Registered
931 Posts
My suggestion is slip GripTek foam over the stock. It makes them big and soft.

You can theoretically remove the stock heated grips intact. It is very easy to damage the delicate wire elements, especially if you are inserting a screw driver. I was only 50% successful on my attempt last year. Also, Ebay does not have a lot of single grips for sale that are OEM.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Re: Removal of Stock Heated Grips without destroying them...

Basspro said:
Has anyone removed them without damaging them, and how hard is it to remove the wires that go to them from where?
Know that this probably isn't the answer you were looking for but... good luck.

Mine were completely destroyed, and I don't know of anyone else who was successful.

One bright spot: save the control panel, switch, and harness. I've heard they burn out occasionally, and you can sell it to someone as a replacement.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts