GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need to install a set of REG Risers ASAP (before I ride to Daytona & then Key West).

I just watched Fred's DVD on removing the Top Shelter but his bike doesn't have the foot warmers like the 2006 models do.

Since the cable control for the Foot Warmers are mounted through the Top Shelter, I assume you have to disconnect something in order to remove the Top Shelter completely, or do you just pull the knob off.

It may seem like comon sense but I do not want to get the shelter 99% free to find out I missed something.

Has anyone with a 2006 removed the Top Shelter completely and if you have just what did you have to do regarding the Foot Warmers control in order to get it done?

Thanks, RIDE SAFE
DonNJ

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
I haven't had the shelter off of a '06 w/comfort yet, but you don't remove the shelter to install bar risers! :idea:

If you want to remove the shelter it looks like the heater cables unsnap from the bottom of the controls. You can see the left when the box is removed and probably the right.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The foot warmer cable disconnect the same way as the right storage box door release does. Just un-snap the cable housing from its retainer, rotate the inner cable to line up with a cut-out in the actuating lever, pop the little cable end (looks like a barrel) out. I generally use a piece of wire or coat hanger with a small 90 degree bend at the end to coax the barrel out of the bracket.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Don, the control lever and/or the cables for the foot warmers do not need to be removed, touched or otherwise molested whilest removing the top shelter on an '06. Hope this helps a lettle...

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
BruceHarrisJr said:
Hey Don, the control lever and/or the cables for the foot warmers do not need to be removed, touched or otherwise molested whilest removing the top shelter on an '06. Hope this helps a lettle...
The foot warmer control cable is attached to the control lever assembly which is attached to the top shelter. Right? How can you remove the shelter without loosening something if the bike has the comfort package?

Just looking at it, it looks like you can just unsnap the main cable from the bottom of the control lever.

TIA......

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
KYBLUE said:
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
WHOA!!!!!.....you don't need to remove the top shelter to install REG Risers. You just have to pull off the speaker grill cover/dash.

Read my post here:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=

Bartman
didn't think you could remove the speaker covers on new style ( 06-07)

AM I wrong????
No, not really. The speaker grill covers and dash are all intregrated and just pop out. IF you lift up on the dash on each side of the ignition switch, it will pop off and then you can pop-off the rest of the dash (the gray part).

Bartman

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The 06 has 2 screws under the ignition switch cover. Then the large connector under the cover. The tricky part are the speaker connectors because the speakers stay on the cover and then it can come off and risers installed. There is no need to remove the top shelter.

W

·
0 Posts
Now I don't why I like my Honda service dealer so much.........let them worry about things like this so I can ride more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
towmoter said:
The 06 has 2 screws under the ignition switch cover. Then the large connector under the cover. The tricky part are the speaker connectors because the speakers stay on the cover and then it can come off and risers installed. There is no need to remove the top shelter.
Heh, heh... same mistake I made. The screws do not hold the cover on... only the ignition switch. <<<2006>>>

·
Registered
164 Posts
OK now I am really confused. I just got the high dollar Fred Videos and now you tell me that this is not the way the top shelter comes off on a 2006 ??? Or do I mean the dash cover or do I mean both. :shock:

Could anyone who has actually Done this let me know how? I am going to install the CB Friday and will need to tear the bike down.

OR does anyone want to come over and do the CB install for me? :lol: Kidding.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Well, here's something else to chew on! I've installed a bunch of CB's. I haven't removed a shelter yet to do it........

How's that? ROFL :a13:

Did you get the meter panel off? Did you remove the left box and take a look at the foot heater control cable?

It doesn't look like brain surgery and I ain't the brightest bulb in the pack. It looks like the control cable unsnaps from the bottom of the lever just under the shelter.

Good Luck...........

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
DonNJ said:
I need to install a set of REG Risers ASAP (before I ride to Daytona & then Key West).
I do not have Fred's DVD's. I do have the 2006 shop manual and I have put risers on my 2006 nav. I posted earlier on how to remove the instrument cover, you have to do that for the reg risers. Now you are saying you want to install a CB. You only remove the seat. all your connections are there. YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE TOP SHELTER. If you have the comfort package there is a connector under the back of the seat for the heated seats. Put a towel over the tank to keep from scratching it, open the trunk pull it back to to get the front loose then lift the front onto the tank you can now get under the seat through the trunk to disconnect the connector. Also the seat has spacers where the grab handles come through, they fall out easily so make sure they stay in place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will follow Bartmans instructions as they look great. I still don't know how you can secure the CB wiring UNDER the top shelter without removing it. I don't have a pixie to get under there and do it for me :lol:

Thanks for all the help.

Marc

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
lomax said:
...I still don't know how you can secure the CB wiring UNDER the top shelter without removing it...
This is what the original post asked for help with:
DonNJ said:
Hi All,

I need to install a set of REG Risers ASAP (before I ride to Daytona & then Key West)...
It wasn't until later in the thread that it got hijacked to include a CB install and now people are confusing two different tasks.

You don't need to remove the shelter to install the risers, but you do for the CB install.

Have fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts