GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always let the dealer do this, but I'm going to do it myself.

I have watched Freds videos, and have 3 questions.
1. What is the minimum ground clearance required to remove front tire?
2. He says to remove calipers, necessary, pros and cons
3. He says to remove rotors, necessary, pros and cons

Thanks in advance
Jim

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
1. About 1", maybe less. Put bike on center stand then I put my shoulder under the nose of the bike and pick it up then scoot a chunk of wood under the engine block to hold the front wheel off of the ground.

2. Have remove the right caliper to get wheel off. Some say not to reuse the caliper bolts but I have reused them 3 times so far. Always put a little locktight on them.

3. I have never removed the rotors. When I take the wheel to Honda shop to mount new tire and balance they told me that the rotors have to be on there for them to balance it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
left/right side of bike

Which side of the bike is the shiftter on? Right or left? This always confuses me

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Left side of the bike is when you are sitting on it. Shifter is on left.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Another alternative is that you can put the bike on the center stand. Take a jack and put it under the front edge of the engine and lift just until the wheel comes off of the ground. Lower the jack just until the tire touches. That way you don't have to lift it. You can simply roll the wheel in and out...

·
Registered
958 Posts
please explain why I need to remove the right side caliper
Probably not required, but for me it makes the wheel removal and install much easier. Just a few bolts...

·
Registered
654 Posts
You have to remove at least one wheel caliper for the wheel to come out. I usually go with the right as the anti-dive valve is bolted on with the left caliper.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The calipers sit within the outer edges of the rim. If you don't remove at least 1 caliper, the rim will be trapped and impossible to move past the calipers. Honda recommends both calipers be removed. Removing both significantly reduces the risk of scratching the rim and does make wheel removal easier. You'll need to angel the wheel a bit the remove with just 1 caliper removed but it is very easy to do.

The right caliper is most often the "choice caliper" since it uses standard hex bolts versus the torx bolts needed on the left side.

Using the center stand with a floor jack under the motor is actually my prefered method since after installing the wheel, you need to "bounce" the front end any ways. Using the center stand, I need only remove the floor jack and the bike is ready to "bounce" per the service manual.

I'm sure once I do it, I will understand
Thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
can you please explain this "Bounce"

Thanks
1. Torque down the axle
2. Torque down the right pinch bolts
3. Place bike on center stand
4. While holding the front brake, rock the bike back and forth "bounching" the front of the bike up and down.
5. Torque down the left pinch bolts.

This is all covered in the service manual. PM me if you would like a '02 electronic service manual. You should really have one before doing servicing on your bike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rob, thanks for the explanation and reminder about the service manual.

I have a service manual and since I have never used it, I never thought about looking at it.

I will look at it now though.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts