GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New-to-me 2006 wing with a dual antenna that has got to go. I have a short garage entry and plan to move over from my old bike my short (2') Sierra solo antenna so I don't have to fold down two long antennas every time I come and go. I'm thinking about what to do with the stub that is left where the long CB whip is now.

Any clever tricks or plates or something to cover up the holes that are left when you remove the antenna base on the left side?

Plan B - I thought about getting another 2' antenna for symmetry and running with it dead, but I hear the 2nd antenna impedes the solo antenna a bit (wave propagation mumbo jumbo) and I'm already running on e-fumes with such a short antenna. Perhaps I can find a non-metal stick to thread in. Or just deal with it.

Plan C - make it a little flag pole. But I need to keep the hinge in the base for covering up on the overnight rides.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
There are short CB antennae available. I think Wingstuff carries them and maybe Sierra Electronics for two choices

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would look into going with shorter antennas. I'm not aware of any 'good' alternatives for covering those holes.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Just a thought here from out of the box,

Remove the antenna base. Cut off the tube off the flat surface on top. Reinstall the base upside down with the bottom rounded portion up.
I'm not sure about the holes drilled in the trunk. But I'm betting they will align ok. Should give a finished look when done.
This destroys the antenna as far as making it work for a CB again, but it would look clean. The base could be powder coated or painted if the Chrome look is not wanted.
Returning to Earth now!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Plan B - I thought about getting another 2' antenna for symmetry and running with it dead, but I hear the 2nd antenna impedes the solo antenna a bit (wave propagation mumbo jumbo) and I'm already running on e-fumes with such a short antenna. Perhaps I can find a non-metal stick to thread in. Or just deal with it.
With as crappy as a 2' antenna is, putting a second (or even a fiberglass dummy rod - use the base of the old antenna to glue in the fiberglass...which you can get in black) in that spot isn't gonna goof things up too bad, IMO.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Kuryakyn has a chrome bracket that goes with their passenger armrests for those without the CB antenna. I don't know how it would work/look without the armrests, but if your considering armrests, that would solve your issue.

·
Vendor
218 Posts
New-to-me 2006 wing with a dual antenna that has got to go. I have a short garage entry and plan to move over from my old bike my short (2') Sierra solo antenna so I don't have to fold down two long antennas every time I come and go. I'm thinking about what to do with the stub that is left where the long CB whip is now.

Any clever tricks or plates or something to cover up the holes that are left when you remove the antenna base on the left side?

Plan C - make it a little flag pole. But I need to keep the hinge in the base for covering up on the overnight rides.
We have a dummy replacement antenna that has no metal value that you can put on that side for symmetry.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a dummy replacement antenna that has no metal value that you can put on that side for symmetry.
Cool! Thanks, Sierra (Wayne?)!

I realize I've been focused on swapping the solo antenna over but if I'm going to keep two antenna bases, perhaps the smarter answer is to do a short FM antenna and a short live CB antenna. I'll get on this soon and give you a call and/or search on your site.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Bolts with the chrome or black caps make nice hole fillers.

Reactions: ROUGH RIDER

·
Registered
191 Posts
My riding group has evolved (?) to Sena bike-to-bike communicators for phone, navigation prompts and music. In 30,000 miles I had never listened to AM or FM radio and haven't used the CB since going Bluetooth. So, I removed both antennae and covered the holes with glossy black duct tape. The whips are safely stowed away and will go with the bike if I ever sell it assuming either of those technologies are still in existence by then!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Black hole plugs from Lowe's or Home Depot. I have used several in removing a fender extender and removing Kury arm rest. Blend in and look nice even on Challenger Brown colored bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts