GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed some distracting scratches on my 2018 Tour/DCT's instrument panel. Anyone know what it's made of? Is it acrylic? I've been Googling how to do it, and everything says that what it's made of determines how you proceed.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I wish there was a way to remove the faint scratches from the dash...it looks horriable when the sun is behind you and shining on the dash..F4 windshield tried baking in their hard coating that they use on their windshields to make them nearly scratch proof but the dash panel melted when they tried the process...anyways, I bought a new dash panel and am going to put film on its surface before I install it on the bike.

·
Vendor
17,397 Posts
You may want to read the section on how to care for your Wing in the Owner's Manual. The path is Owner's Manual > index > caring for your m/c > interment panel.

In there it says how to wash and care for it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In the past, I've used 3M liquid polishing compound with a soft t shirt on various plastics. Have not tried it on a Honda dash but would not be afraid to try.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
You may want to read the section on how to care for your Wing in the Owner's Manual. The path is Owner's Manual > index > caring for your m/c > interment panel.

In there it says how to wash and care for it.
I've taken care of the dash panel as well as it can be done..nobody has taken better care of it than I have and still there is fine scratches in the plastic that really only can been seen with the sun behind you...and then it looks like crap...Honda needs to change the material that the dash panel is made from to a more durable material...this dash panel scratches with just normal cleaning.

·
Vendor
17,397 Posts
Honda needs to change the material that the dash panel is made from to a more durable material...this dash panel scratches with just normal cleaning.
You are probably correct. In the mean time, Honda, in their Owner's Manual, is pretty much saying that "normal cleaning" is not good enough and special care is required.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the comments. I will continue researching to find out what it's made of.

·
Registered
471 Posts
NOT PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...but, I've seen many posts here about how well Pledge removes light scratching in windshields? Maybe also for this?

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NOT PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...but, I've seen many posts here about how well Pledge removes light scratching in windshields? Maybe also for this?
My ignorance is profound. All the web and YouTube information says how you approach it is dependent on what the material is made of and that some approaches can damage the plastic further, so before I do anything, I've got to know what type of plastic it is.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I would just clean it with a clean soft microfiber towel using Plexus.

I’m guessing any attempt to remove or buff out the scratches will be a losing battle.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would just clean it with a clean soft microfiber towel using Plexus.

I’m guessing any attempt to remove or buff out the scratches will be a losing battle.
I'm thinking that's correct. Honda says there's a special coating on it. Any attempt to buff out the scratches would doubtless damage that coating. I'm wondering if the fine scratches people see are micro scratches in that special coating.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You're referring to the meter panel, right? I had mine and the key area sprayed black. Polishes up fine and light scratches can be worked on with fine scratch remover.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're referring to the meter panel, right? I had mine and the key area sprayed black. Polishes up fine and light scratches can be worked on with fine scratch remover.
I'm referring to the square, center screen in the middle of the instrument panel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts