GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior owner mentioned a mod he did when I recently bought my 2002. The "Disp" button is pushed once is for the temp and pushed again for the preload setting, which is normal. But there is a mod on the wing that pushing the blinker button in, as if to cancel the blinker, does the same thing. Push the blinker button once shows the temp and the second time shows the preload; it also still cancels the blinker. Its OK but I would rather it not do this. does anyone know if it is easy to remove the mod so that pushing the blinker switch only cancels the blinkers? No big deal and it doesn't cause any problems, just don't care for it.
Font Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Material property Gas
Vehicle Font Motor vehicle Material property Gas

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I’ve never heard of this, I will wait to hear what others say about it. I wonder if things were ‘rewired’ to get this feature.

·
Premium Member
2005 GL1800 2 wheeler, 2003 GL1800 Hannigan trike
141 Posts
My recently purchased trike that has this mod. As far as I can tell it is one single wire that is tapped into the display button wiring harness underneath. I did not follow it to where the other end goes. I would think that removing this wire would do what you are looking for. Yours may be tapped into the harness at a different location.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I think many have done this simple mod on their Wing. They like to keep track of the ambient air temperature and got tired of having to reach to the center button to do that. Letting the turn signal cancel button also display the temperature makes it convenient to check.
Never took the time to do it on my Wing, but I believe it's just adding one wire and don't recall the need for any diodes. Like someone mentioned above, just cutting the added wire and protecting the ends with tape should be all you need to do.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I remember a thread on this site but here is the summary: Temperature display mod

Please post a link if you find the original.

Anyone done it on the 2012-2017? I intend to try to find the right wires next time I do the air filter.

Reactions: WVGuy

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Here's how it works. I've done it on several 01-05, and 06-10. For both series, the turn signal cancel circuit connects that lead to ground. The center console mode switches does the same thing, connects to ground. However, the 06-10 series center console is 12v to ground in its non-grounded state, or the turn signal is, can't remember without a meter. So I use a blocking diode, others haven't and haven't had a reported problem.

Anyhow, pressing the turn signal cancel grounds the applicable button on the center console which cycles through the display. I personally like it.

The most common way to connect is at the wiring harness at the bottom of the left handlebar over to the wiring harness at the center console plug connector. I use a quick connector so everything can be removed. Look for a jumper wire that's not in a wiring loom.

Reactions: jettawreck

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Prior owner mentioned a mod he did when I recently bought my 2002. The "Disp" button is pushed once is for the temp and pushed again for the preload setting, which is normal. But there is a mod on the wing that pushing the blinker button in, as if to cancel the blinker, does the same thing. Push the blinker button once shows the temp and the second time shows the preload; it also still cancels the blinker. Its OK but I would rather it not do this. does anyone know if it is easy to remove the mod so that pushing the blinker switch only cancels the blinkers? No big deal and it doesn't cause any problems, just don't care for it.
View attachment 392249 View attachment 392250

This has TROUBLE written all over it. I keep coming back to this question, in this case the previous owner..........................WHY ???????

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember a thread on this site but here is the summary: Temperature display mod
The most common way to connect is at the wiring harness at the bottom of the left handlebar over to the wiring harness at the center console plug connector. I use a quick connector so everything can be removed. Look for a jumper wire that's not in a wiring loom.
Thanks for the information. Next time I have it apart I will look for the extra wire and connection. As usual the people on this board had the requested information within a few hours. Y'all are great.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I had my mechanic do this on my ‘06 while he was in the area fixing another issue. When I got my 08, he discovered an easier way to do it. It hurts nothing and had never caused an issue. Sometimes it is just nice to know if it is over 90, or just feels like it. It is also handy to know when you are riding in 30 degrees or colder. Keeps me aware of potential issues with getting too cold. Never a problem has arisen in over 9 or 10 years in using it. If it bothers you, fix it. No harm will come to the Wing by just leaving it. Fortunately, Honda chose to have a temp display on the ‘18, so I need to do nothing but glance.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Yeah, I too agree with that. Why is it so important to keep track of temperature so badly?
It's more than just that. They add these 'foreign' things to the bike and then expect it to be known/fixed when they don't work, or worse, affect other things on the bike and hardly anybody can fix
the mess that is now there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because of us winter riders. When it’s wet and temperatures get close to 32 I get nervous. I like to know the bridges aren’t icy.
Makes sense. In the summer here I guess it would be good to know when it's close to brain boiling temperatures so can can find a convenience store with one of the walk-in beer coolers. Because of the cold temps in there not the beer; although in that situation that could be a plus too. 🍺

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The mod damages nothing done correctly and I wish it was already done to mine to save me the trouble when I do the air filter change. It's a well documented mod and been done for years.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Common mod done to the 1st Gen GL1800s since 2001……
A lot of bikes have this mod……as mentioned it provides a quick easy way to see the temp without having to reach up on the dash and push a button.

No harm, no foul if done correctly….

Reactions: weengers

·
Registered
716 Posts
Because of us winter riders. When it’s wet and temperatures get close to 32 I get nervous. I like to know the bridges aren’t icy.
LOL, that's why I watch weather news and have a truck when it's that cold AND rain/possible ice.

I do ride all year, except in lighting storms or thunderstorms. Cold don't stop me, rain don't stop me but, cold AND possible ice do.

I understand the point. Weather calls for possible rain and ice, that call my truck in to duty.

No mods needed on my truck; nice, dry and heat works nicely😁

1 - 20 of 34 Posts