GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the temp finally got above 50's here in ND and it was time to get the bike home from winter storage. Yesterday I made the move. Took a very short drive and now in the garage torn apart. Changing the air filter, all fluids, Ordered my SpeedBleeders today.

I did notice two small puddys of antifreeze under the bike, on right under the front crowl and second one right side middle of the engine area. So I need to remove the gas tank to get a good look at what maybe leaking. Any Ideas??

Felt good to on the bike again after a very long and cold winter..

·
Registered
924 Posts
I used to get that on my royale......just because of the cold contracting and the hoses....was good when it warmed up - just topped up the anti freeze and tightened the clamps and she was good to go......I think it could be similar to the wing.

Jer

·
Registered
423 Posts
:agree: On my 1500, it would weap when cold. Tore it down and found a couple of hose clamps leaking. Replaced them with worm drive type clamps which took care of the problem. I imagine the 1800 is similar.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Cold weather tends to expose hose clamps that are not quite tight enough. You will probably be fine now that the weather is warming up. The Wing is notorious for hose clamps not being tight enough from the factory.

But keep in mind that cold weather is no excuse for coolant to leak. Coolant should never leak. If I can go all winter with my cars not leaking from the cold, my motorcycle should not do it either. If you have a puddle of coolant on the ground, there is a problem. It comes down to how perfectly maintained you want your bike to be.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Repaired I hope

While changing the filter I drained the fuel tank and removed it to get to hoses. Some were a little loose, so hoping that will take care of the leak. Water pump looked clean so that was good.

Since the weather is again taking a turn to the cold, I'm going to get a few areas painted on the bike.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
I hope you got it fixed but To me it kinda sounds like some of the leaks you described were not coming from the hoses under the tank

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little paint

Painted a few parts of the bike this week, I will have to say I think it turned out great.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rented Storage space for the bike during the winter months so it has no chance of getting damaged in the garage. Here in the great North we are not able to ride for a few months, or should say there is no way I would ride during the winter months. Too much sand and salts on the streets and of course the -0 temps make it no fun..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts