GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about 15K miles since using a CT, I noticed stability difficulty when two up, at a stop. I always took it for the road being off camber, or the passenger making it more difficult for me to balance..
However, I saw a video that suggested it was the car tire. Anyway, since my front tire needed replaced, I opted to go just replace both with the OE Bridgestone. Having difficulty holding a bike up
is not something I'm comfortable with.

Has anyone else experienced stability when stopped using a CT?

·
Registered
471 Posts
For about 15K miles since using a CT, I noticed stability difficulty when two up, at a stop. I always took it for the road being off camber, or the passenger making it more difficult for me to balance..
However, I saw a video that suggested it was the car tire. Anyway, since my front tire needed replaced, I opted to go just replace both with the OE Bridgestone. Having difficulty holding a bike up

I haven't noticed any instability when stopped. Only instability I have had is slo-mo in rough parking lot especially 2 up, but it has never outweighed the advantages of the run flat car tire. :cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts

I have to admit I notice it with two up aslo
I might just go back to motorcycle tire next time.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
instability at slow speed depends on which car tyre you are using in the profile that it has. Even with a good profile tyre there is a little bit of following the road curve however for the most part I do not notice it anymore and I've got over 250000 miles on car tyres. I happen to use a Yokohama avid invignor run flat.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
bgm1911, you might try a different sized tire. I use a 175/60R16 instead of the usual 195/55R16 that most Darksiders use. It's narrower and Rides more like a mc tire but has the advantages of a CT. (longer wear life and run-flat advantages. I won't use a 195 but have worn out three 175's.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There are both pros and cons to running a runflat car tire in my opinion.

It’s not all eating ice cream.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
You can find all kinds of excuses for not running a car tire. It seems that the "flat earthers" sit around in a circle and dream them up. I had a guy try to convince me one time that when I went out west and hit the real high elevations the bead would melt and I would crash and burn. I know when I come to a stop, riding two up, I don't feel the bike any more unstable on a CT than I do on a MC tire. To each his own but for me the benefits far out weigh the cons. JMHO

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Ever had a flat on the highway?
Its a easy decision for me. Runflat. No more needs to be said.
Never noticed instability problems sitting still.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts

What pressure, Some folks feel 28 or 30 PSI is fine but if you are two up you will feel less stable for sure. I would run 38 - 40 depending on the tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While it is possible that the problem is the profile and pressure of the CT I was using, it would be wreckless of me to continue to use a tire that caused difficulty holding a bike up, regardless of the benefits a car tire has; I did put the CT on to begin with...

And as always, YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts