GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am currently doing a 50K maintenance on " OL' Yaller ", the thought occured to me to replace the brushes in the alternator.
That was until I read the service manual. In addition to removing the seat and top shelter, it said "remove fuel tank".
Now riding season is a few months off, but thanks to Global Warming, I get to enjoy some riding in the winter months. But, this job looks like it could take some time. My boss told me once that I was not "Task Oriented, nor Time effective" , ( I perfer the Term "laidback" better ) I just don't want to invest several days into a project that may never need done.
How 'bout guys ??? Any horror stories of alternator failure ?? I had brush problems on the 1500 around 50K miles, I was hoping the 1800 wasn't prone to that.........

Remember........It comes apart easy......... but wiping off the fingerprints on the way out is time consuming.......

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Never heard of anyone ever having troble with one
but their will always be a 1st :oops:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
It ain't broke, so.......... :lol:

And, yes, the 1500 alternator brushes had a habit of going south, but the 1200 alternators with the stator problem was really worth talking about. To fix that one, the engine had to come out......

but the 1800s been perking right along.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
it's rare but the alternator on my bike went out at 69,000 smiles

it wasn't the brushes, the mechanic said they looked almost new

it was some other part that went bad, Honda replaced the entire alternator under warranty

no need to remove the fuel tank, they make lots of stuff in the service manual sound way more complicated than it needs to be

·
Registered
337 Posts
My daddy always told me if it ain't broke.......don't fix it.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Turbine, You sound like you come from my same loins. I am always wanting to take things apart. However, I would not waste the time in doing so. If it goes south, either get it fixed under warranty, or find a shop around your house that rebuilds alternators. They will rebuild it for about $75.00 bucks. Best kept secret out there. I have not bought a new Alternator for my customers in a long time. I just have them rebuilt with all new parts. Not one has gone out yet.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
What Toyo said....... :D

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
According to Fred, yep, tank come out, but even he states that he's never heard of one going out.....

Don;t think I'll go there unless tank is out for some other reason, even then, WHY????

·
Vendor
22,228 Posts
I have a buddy that pulled his alternator at around 80K miles to change the brushes. It was a pretty big job, and after all was said and done, they looked like they could go another 150K miles before needing to be replaced. See for yourself.

New and old brushes (80K miles) alongside each other

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I took my 01, 100K+, to the dealer for charging problems. The tech removed the battery, battery box, and side cover. Using a long ext with the ratchet located in the space where the battery box was formerly located he removed the alternator. The back bolt is the culprit, he used a soft tiedown to cradle the end of the ext to guide it on to the back bolt. The 1800 does not eat brushes as the old 1500 did.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, IL
01, 190,000 miles
07, 7,100 miles

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, that settles it. I'm not taking the alternator out. I blew it out with Nitrogen, (had some I was saving for the tires) not a whole lot of dust
came out.
Think I'll spend time hiding some LED's in the grille area and around the bottom edge of the windshield. Maybe some amber ones in the air intake opening too!
Speaking of the nitrogen, a friend tells me that Nitrogen molecules are roughly 5 times larger that oxygen molecules, and that is why the pressure in the tire leaks less. Being bigger makes it harder to escape around the bead of the tire and valve stem.
I have a theory. Since "air" is already 78% nitrogen, and nitrogen doesn't leak out., could I overinflate my tires by 21%, and then when then pressure "leaks" down to the correct inflation, only the nitrogen would be left in the tire, the oxygen will have already left.
Saved myself $5 a tire there. $10 toward my next chrome purchase. Won't be much chrome , but every little bit helps............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts