GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get an old tire off of a rear GL1800 rim so that I can sell the rim. I don't have any tire tools. Can you guys think of a way to remove it besides just taking the Sawzall and Dremel to it?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Place a 2x6 on the tire while having it laying flat, motor a vehicle on it to break the bead. Good luck after that! A couple of tire tools to remove tire will do, careful to not damage the rim.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have to get an old tire off of a rear GL1800 rim so that I can sell the rim. I don't have any tire tools. Can you guys think of a way to remove it besides just taking the Sawzall and Dremel to it?
Most tire shops will just remove it for a saw buck,and then you won't have to worry about scratching it or tuckering yourself out in doing so..:doorag:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
LARRYM, With out tire tools or experience you will leave marks

on the rim. Have it removed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive used a jig saw and a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and that seems to work just fine.

Have fun.

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after reading the various comments, I decided to try the Sawzall. Cutting two wedges all the way down to within 1/4 inch of the rim didn't really do anything, so I tried the 2x6. I should have used a 2x12, because all I broke was a good piece of lumber.:cry:

So I decided to just cut the carcass off all the way around. Now I have two beads left that still won't break. I am not going to cut the rest of the bead off with the Dremel until I break it loose from the rim. I don't want to knick it.

I would have thought the bead would have peeled off pretty easily at this point, but it is stuck on their pretty good.

Isn't it amazing the things you will do when you are unemployed?:shock::lol:

Did I mention this makes a helluva mess?:lol:

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got it off, and with no damage.

I learned a lot about tires here, and it nearly cost me a wheel. Cutting the carcass off was a bad idea. I always thought that the stiffness of the sidewall made it tougher to break the bead, but that wasn't so. I nearly screwed things up royal by cutting around the tire. Thank goodness I still left a little.

I broke the bead by taking an 8 inch long 2x4, placing it on top of the side wall endwise, and then placed one end of an 8 ft 2x6 under the car. I then pressed down on the other end, and the bead popped right off.

Thanks for everyone's advice. BTW, it probably would have been a good idea to just take it to the dealer, but I was laid off last month, so I am trying not to spend any money needlessly.

·
DSI Keeper
9,234 Posts
Larry welcome to my world. I learned some much about maintenance when I was young, in the military and always broke. The experience from those days still carry me today.

I wish you the best in returning to work. I really do. You have a lot of skills, that I can't imagine you being out for long.

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Murgie. I appreciate the encouragement. I fully expect it to take a good 3 months, maybe longer. There isn't much out there right now.

In the meantime, my wife is enjoying my current job of cleaning out the garage, attic, and shop, and getting everything sold that I have been promising to sell for the past two years.:lol:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Larry, good luck to you. I hope you find something before too, long. Take this time as an oportunity to expand you skills and more importantly your contacts.
Best to you.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
beads

I brock mine in a large vice. But I had to take the sawsall to the front tire.
Jack:bow:

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely some good ideas, especially the C clamp. I have a set of large C clamps that would have worked great.

Once I have an income again I will have to look at getting some tire irons. I know they are fairly cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.