GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! I'm the proud new owner of a 2008 GL1800 with all the bells and whistles except the airbag.... I think I got a good deal on a low-mileage bike (27,000), but there's one thing I want to clean up.

One of the two previous owners was a fan of chrome, and as such got a lot of plastic chrome pieces to accent things like the mirror housings, gas tank filler cover, and fairing compartment covers. I've found I can carefully pull these pieces off (I'm not a fan of chrome, and some are starting to peel off), but on some surfaces the adhesive leaves a residue that doesn't look too good. Specifically, the worst seems to be on the fairing compartment covers.

What's the best way to remove the residue without discoloring the plastics? I'm seeing some suggestions on the Internet, but want to make sure it doesn't do damage to the parts I need/want to keep.

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Depending on the type of adhesives, but if it's left over from pressure sensitive sticky backed type, then paint thinner/mineral spirits (NOT any stronger solvents such as lacquer thinner, MEK, etc) works great and won't hurt the clearcoat or paint. WD40 also works ok. After adhesive removal wash with mild solution of Dawn dish soap, rinse well dry and rewax.
I've removed lots of decals, license stickers, etc from snowmobile hoods/chassis.

Reactions: SILVERTIP

·
Registered
799 Posts
Good evening! I'm the proud new owner of a 2008 GL1800 with all the bells and whistles except the airbag.... I think I got a good deal on a low-mileage bike (27,000), but there's one thing I want to clean up.

One of the two previous owners was a fan of chrome, and as such got a lot of plastic chrome pieces to accent things like the mirror housings, gas tank filler cover, and fairing compartment covers. I've found I can carefully pull these pieces off (I'm not a fan of chrome, and some are starting to peel off), but on some surfaces the adhesive leaves a residue that doesn't look too good. Specifically, the worst seems to be on the fairing compartment covers.

What's the best way to remove the residue without discoloring the plastics? I'm seeing some suggestions on the Internet, but want to make sure it doesn't do damage to the parts I need/want to keep.
Thanks!

Andy

Varsol.

I just picked up a new Wing, and peeled the dealer's sticker off the rear fender. A little varsol moistened on to a clean rag and the adhesive residue wiped off, super easy. Apply a coat of wax and you're good to go.

Tim

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth in concert with WD-40.

For removing trim fastened with double sided tape I use 40lb test fish line lubed with WD-40, sawing back/forth, up down etc. When you've mastered the technique you can remove lots of adhesive along with the trim so your finish work is minimized.

Good luck and remember to wear work gloves if/when you use the fishline technique; hobbies aren't supposed to be painful:crying:

·
Registered
994 Posts
A safe alternative to using chemicals is to simply smear margarine over the adhesive, let it sit a couple minutes and then wipe the surface clean with a microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have used the all of above techniques at different times. All good ideas.

The Honda ABS and it's color are known to be soft. This tool worked well when I de-badged my truck but I would not however use a power tool on a Goldwing: https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Erase...&qid=1562063267&s=gateway&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1

Repeat. IMHO do not use a power tool on a Goldwing. I do recommend this for painted or plated metal.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Depending on the type of adhesives, but if it's left over from pressure sensitive sticky backed type, then paint thinner/mineral spirits (NOT any stronger solvents such as lacquer thinner, MEK, etc) works great and won't hurt the clearcoat or paint. WD40 also works ok. After adhesive removal wash with mild solution of Dawn dish soap, rinse well dry and rewax.
I've removed lots of decals, license stickers, etc from snowmobile hoods/chassis.
I may add to start the removal use a fishing line when you can to cut off add on . Then mineral spirits is safe, kerosene and a silicone spray really works best I used the goof Off if nothing else works I think the Goof Off comes in a plastic bottle I would try it on a piece of plastic first before I put it on your bike and not let it sit too long I would say no longer than 10 seconds on your bike where's some pictures
Congrats on the new to u bike enjoy

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I agree. I have removed a lot of adhesive with Goo-Gone and it does a great job.
Goo-Gone is a citrus based product and pretty safe. Goof-Off is not safe for some painted surfaces as it contains some rather harsh solvents. Don't get them mixed up or think they are the same.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts

Thanks!

Andy
Be aware ... sometimes the paint under the chrome has no fade. Also, sometimes the double-back-tape is "baked" on from heat and age and becomes even more difficult to remove. I would do one piece of chrome at a time. Others have suggested chemicals, but don't forget that a heat gun might be the best thing to start with first.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Mineral spirits. It is the same ingredient in Goo Gone and WD 40 which is why those products work. It won't hurt your paint, this is what body shops use. Apply a little and let it soak in for 10 minutes or so to loosen up the adhesive and break it down. Once you have the goo removed, I like to go back over it with denatured alcohol to remove any of the mineral spirits residue and then follow that up with some good wax.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Goo-Gone. But put it on the cloth, not directly on the bike. Buff with a different soft cloth when residue is gone.

Reactions: Ozone1

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Jettawreck;

What do you use to remove te decals from fibreglass? My camper has stripes on it that the factory put on and the first winter they cracked and split. I would like to just take them off. They are now 6 years old and REALLY look ugly. I was told to use a scraper and heat gun but was wondering if there is a better way as the scraper scratches the fibreglass.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts