GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed a set of tires with my new cycle hill changer. WHAT A JOB! But the local shop now charges $80 / set to mount and balance if I buy the tires from him. $90 if I show up with my own tires.

So now I have to figure a way to save the old balance beads. I plan to drill a hole in the tire and pour them out. Any other suggestions.

And as I type this, I am wondering if I could use a shop vac to break the bead on a tire. Drill a hole while the tire is on the rim. Pour the beads out, attaché a shop vac and see If the vacuum would pull the bead off the rim. has anyone tried this before?

·
Registered
106 Posts
balance beads

All you need to do is scoop them out with a index card, put the card in a small sandwich bag and just funnel the into the bag not that big of a deal there will be small black rubber balls in the tire also again no big deal just put them right into new tire will not affect the balancing.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
With a bead off and over the rim, I've used a pantyhose over the end of a shop vac. You turn the shop vac on, suck up the beads, place the end of the nozzle over a plastic cup and turn the shop vac off, repeat two times and your have all your beads.

I've also used the index card method, above, actually using a sheet of paper, that works.

Either method only takes about 30 seconds to recover almost all the beads.

Although next time, I'm going to try the drilling a hole method.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I just changed a set of tires with my new cycle hill changer. WHAT A JOB! But the local shop now charges $80 / set to mount and balance if I buy the tires from him. $90 if I show up with my own tires.

So now I have to figure a way to save the old balance beads. I plan to drill a hole in the tire and pour them out. Any other suggestions.

And as I type this, I am wondering if I could use a shop vac to break the bead on a tire. Drill a hole while the tire is on the rim. Pour the beads out, attaché a shop vac and see If the vacuum would pull the bead off the rim. has anyone tried this before?
Nice idea - but doubt it will work - the shop vac does not generate sufficient vacuum to get the differential pressure necessary. Think of how hard it is to break the bead just with the force applied at one spot. Now distribute that load around the entire circumference - ain't gonna pop the bead. Not too mention the non-likelihood of getting a perfect seal around the tire and shop vac.

Now for the beads removal - you can drill a hole, many do - and the small amount of rubber can be mixed with the beads to no ill effect when adding the beads back into the new tire. What I do (with the gracious help of BikerJohn who does most of the work :thumbup::bow:) is pop the bead, and pull one bead up and over the rim. Then put the tire upright and pull the bead away from the rim which allows you to scoop the beads out. Get them out, then put the rim back on the changer and pull the other sidewall off the rim. No muss - no fuss. But if you do drill the hole method, on a CT go through the sidewall and miss the steel belts of the tread area.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just have the shop that changes the tire scoop them out when they take the tire off and put them in the new tire, it is very easy to do.

I do it at my shop all the time.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Can't see anyone even considering saving them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't see anyone even considering saving them.
I just bought new packages from Wingstuff for my new tires. But hey, if I can save the old ones, or at least most of them, that would help pay for the new tire changer quicker. I am not cheep, I just hate to toss good stuff away.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I connot see why you would would not reuse them. I take a cup that fits tight inside the tire then roll the tire and the beads go right into the cup.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use a cap like off a can of paint or spray can. Just hold it down while turning the tire and scoop them up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag:If you drill a hole in the tire to get them out, you will get bits of rubber mixed in with them. Ask how I know.:lol:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Why can't you take a 1" hole saw,drill the hole at the top of the tire, rotate it around to the bottom and pore out the beads.
Mick

·
Registered
404 Posts
My cycle hill tire changer came with a bead breaker. I have never had a problem breaking the bead with it. The trick is to make sure you position the tire so the lower arm is going straight down. If you have the tire too far out the arm is going at an angle into the edge of the rim which makes it harder to move downward. With the arm hanging straight down the angle they put on the bottom of it will work in enough to get the bead loose.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Why not just remove the tire and then scoop them out with a little dixie cup? It isn't like the beads are gonna fly all over the place when you remove the tire from the rim (unless you shake or drop the tire). :shrug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts