GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove my exhaust protectors off the bike. I've removed the 2 bottom nuts and the 1 bolt that ties into the header. Could someone tell me if there are any other nuts or bolts that I must remove to take these covers off?
thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just pulled mine yesterday. Right side, one bolt / 2 nuts - came right off. Left side, one bolt / 2 nuts - stuck. There are some green fibrous washers between the exhaust pipe & shield / and between the shield & nut. When the nuts are originally tightened I'd guess the washers are crushed into the threads of the studs a bit making the shield tough to remove. I used a paint stick against the painted surface and a nice wide bladed prybar to coax it loose - came right off then! Good Luck!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John Rossington said:
Just pulled mine yesterday. Right side, one bolt / 2 nuts - came right off. Left side, one bolt / 2 nuts - stuck. There are some green fibrous washers between the exhaust pipe & shield / and between the shield & nut. When the nuts are originally tightened I'd guess the washers are crushed into the threads of the studs a bit making the shield tough to remove. I used a paint stick against the painted surface and a nice wide bladed prybar to coax it loose - came right off then! Good Luck!

OK......LOL......I started on the left side...I saw the green stuff that you are talking about that was on one of the nuts, so it sound like I have taken off all of fasteners and I just need to work on taking it off.

·
Registered
706 Posts
There are two clips at the rear of the protectors that hold them up. You must make sure that you move the protectors fowrard off of the clips before they will come down. Pull the front of the protectors off of the studs where the nuts were removed, and then move forward, and they should come off.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
John Rossington said:
The manual says to replace those green washers with new ones when reinstalling shields
... does anyone have a part number and/or alternate source?

Dennis

·
Registered
571 Posts
The part number you want is:-

GASKET, PROTECTOR
18293-MCA-780

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:?:

What ya gonna do with 'em while ya got 'em off?? Inquirin' minds would like ya to share yer ideas. :wink:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
******* Dave said:
:?:

What ya gonna do with 'em while ya got 'em off?? Inquirin' minds would like ya to share yer ideas. :wink:

I've got same painted covers coming.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Ride it with them off and your feet will stay nice and warm.

Bradford

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

The new covers aren't white are they?? Where ya gettin' from and do those folks have a website?? :wink:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Re: covers

MG_Wings said:
Yes I'm getting a few color match items from them.
ditto that ... I'm also removing the grey muffler protectors and going with color.
.. It's just a personal thing, I don't care for the grey parts.

When (if?) I get it all done, there won't be any "grey" stuff left on the bike ... the grey will either be painted to match the color or changed out for chrome.

Dennis

·
Registered
203 Posts
My Yellow covers are coming for Christmas!!! Got the front cowling for my birthday in September, so these will complete the look. After so many chromed bikes it sure is great to have very little on this one.

The folks at Road Trip Essentials are the best!

·
Registered
130 Posts
ditto all. I have quite a bit of Road Trip's stuff on my scoot. They are a dream to work with, absolutely. Great service, flawless paint! :D

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Photo of the new exhaust covers from RTE... Along with lower cowl, Grips, fender extension, Valve Stealth LED'S lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts