GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of quad bi-xenon projector beam headlights for my 2014 level 3 'wing. Quad projectors should really light up the road and they are legal.

$_57.JPG

To install these, I need to replace the headlight assemblies. What do I need to remove in order to access the headlight assemblies?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
There are several HID projector upgrade how to's in the step-by-step sub-board. Since you're not sure how to remove the fairing to get to the headlight assemblies, I am assuming you will also need to know how to open up the headlight assemblies in order to install these HID projectors.

Here is one example...
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?419962-Macgyver0856-s-projector-retrofit

You will also need to be knowledgeable about the GL1800's head light wiring and HID projector retro-fit wiring in general. Use soldered connections, not crimp and pray blue thingy's...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seat
meter panel cover
Top shelter
windshield and windshield hardware
dash visor
Left and right side fairing panels
Thanks, Fred. Now I know what to do. :thumbup: BTW, do you have a 2012 update for your Gold Wing maintenance discs?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are several HID projector upgrade how to's in the step-by-step sub-board. Since you're not sure how to remove the fairing to get to the headlight assemblies, I am assuming you will also need to know how to open up the headlight assemblies in order to install these HID projectors.

Here is one example...
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?419962-Macgyver0856-s-projector-retrofit

You will also need to be knowledgeable about the GL1800's head light wiring and HID projector retro-fit wiring in general. Use soldered connections, not crimp and pray blue thingy's...

Larry,

I am very familiar with electrical systems. These projector headlights were expensive, but all the work is already done. It is a plug and play installation. Remove the old headlight assemblies and replace them with the new headlight assemblies. I didn't want to deal with cooking my headlights, cutting holes and aligning 4 projector beams, so I bought off-the-shelf. I have installed bi-Xenons before and I know exactly what needs to be done, electrically. I also know how to remove the top shelter, etc. I just didn't want to unless it was necessary. What I didn't know was how much had to be done to get access to the lights. But thanks for your advice. :thumbup:

This looks to be more than an afternoon project. I'll wait until the '07 is working and out of the garage.

I'll document this project as I complete it. Someone else might want to try these projector re-fits.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You are welcome. If those are the sets I saw on e-bay, then yes expensive is the operative word... Good luck... looking forward to the write up...

Larry,

I am very familiar with electrical systems. These projector headlights were expensive, but all the work is already done. It is a plug and play installation. Remove the old headlight assemblies and replace them with the new headlight assemblies. I didn't want to deal with cooking my headlights, cutting holes and aligning 4 projector beams, so I bought off-the-shelf. I have installed bi-Xenons before and I know exactly what needs to be done, electrically. I also know how to remove the top shelter, etc. I just didn't want to unless it was necessary. What I didn't know was how much had to be done to get access to the lights. But thanks for your advice. :thumbup:

This looks to be more than an afternoon project. I'll wait until the '07 is working and out of the garage.

I'll document this project as I complete it. Someone else might want to try these projector re-fits.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Legal HIDs

I picked up a set of quad bi-xenon projector beam headlights for my 2014 level 3 'wing. Quad projectors should really light up the road and they are legal.

View attachment 55648

To install these, I need to replace the headlight assemblies. What do I need to remove in order to access the headlight assemblies?

Thanks.
Please note, I am not saying you should not do this, however, these lights are not technically legal. In fact, there is no legal way to put HID lights on a motorcycle that was not equipped with them from the factory. It does not matter if they have projectors on them or not. There have been a number of threads on the board that go into detail on this topic and it always comes out the same way. Here is a thread with some detail in it. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?311329-Pulled-over-for-HIDs-CHP-San-Diego-County-area

There was another thread with info directly from the Feds on the issue, but the end result was still the same.

Once again, I am not throwing stones here. I have HIDs on my bike and really like them. If you have lights that are under 5000 degrees or so and keep them aimed out of the eyes of the oncoming drivers, you should have no trouble. In my opinion, my HIDs do not have as clean a cutoff as the halogen's did on the bike. However, I can keep the HIDs significantly lower than I could with the halogens and still see. I am satisfied with the tradeoff. I can see much better and oncoming drivers do not flash their bright lights at me as I go by.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks, Fred. Now I know what to do. :thumbup: BTW, do you have a 2012 update for your Gold Wing maintenance discs?
Note: The side fairings and headlight assembles come off in 1 piece. Helps to have a friend when pulling this off. Its not bad, and I did it myself when I replaced my 2012 side fairings with F6B side fairings. Just easier with assistance. Also take care on aligning up the 2 seat tabs on the upper cowl housing with their grommets when putting the assemble back on.
I've been looking at these lights, interested on seeing how they do .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts