GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
On the center stand after removing the rear fender and amp.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Just a couple of inches if you do it like this:

Removing the amp is too much of a PITA. This way is A LOT easier!

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
yes without a hitch that is fine. Wing....Im a little hurt you didn't post some crazy video of some knuckle head failing at changing a tire..:cry:

Sorry, I'm slipping, didn't come to mind. :shock:

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
4 posts and no answer to the ?:shrug:
Measure from the center of the wheel to the floor. Jack it up that high and you can remove the wheel out the bottom.
Obviously you didn't read the OP's question. :rolleyes:

He clearly asked "Do I need to have the wing off the ground to drop the rear wheel down and out?"

Tommy and I answered the question, although I did mention "a couple of inches."

Now, if he had asked "How far do I need to raise the bike on a jack to be able to remove the rear wheel?", then your answer would be almost correct. You actually have to raise the bike a little further than that to clear the studs.

Actually, the most correct answer would have been a simple "Yes," but I thought a little more information would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
U
Obviously you didn't read the OP's question. :rolleyes:

He clearly asked "Do I need to have the wing off the ground to drop the rear wheel down and out?"

Tommy and I answered the question, although I did mention "a couple of inches."

Now, if he had asked "How far do I need to raise the bike on a jack to be able to remove the rear wheel?", then your answer would be almost correct. You actually have to raise the bike a little further than that to clear the studs.

Actually, the most correct answer would have been a simple "Yes," but I thought a little more information would be helpful.
sorry for the confusion. ..I used the title of the post as the first part of question. ....But it is looking like i need to be about 12" off the ground I was hoping for less 9" would suit my circumstances

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I have to drop mine out the bottom, so yes it needs to be fairly high to do it that way.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
U

sorry for the confusion. ..I used the title of the post as the first part of question. ....But it is looking like i need to be about 12" off the ground I was hoping for less 9" would suit my circumstances
:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, it's kind of the "angle of the dangle thing" with that wheel. If you're going to use a jack, ya gotta get it up there so when the wheel comes down, you can lean it outward to get it past those studs. Of course, it you really get it up there, it'll just drop right down, but you still have to wiggle it a little.

Seriously, laying it over on the side is so easy and you have zero chance if the bike coming off the jack.

I've done dozens laying it over on the side and it does absolutely no damage to the bike to do it that way. Besides, one day, when you drop the bike (and you will), you'll discover how those guards protect your bike.

Like the old saying goes, there are those who have dropped a bike and those that will drop a bike. ;)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Do I need to have the wing off the ground to drop the rear wheel down and out?
I think your 18" is pretty close to the minimum distance you need to have the rear tire off the ground to drop the tire straight down and then slide it out without removing the rear fender/amp.

·
Registered
876 Posts
To all that have suggested I try laying it over to change the wheel, the pics are my bike. I will jack the bike up and see what I need, I just thought someone already knew what the minimum height it had to be. :shrug:
I see from your pictures that you do not have the center stand pulled out. If you rock the bike up onto the guards and pull the center stand all the way out, you will find a few more inches of clearance and a more stable platform to make the change on its side much easier.:thumbup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Lay her over and the rear wheel comes off really easy. Best I found though to have less than 1/2 tank of gas.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are doing the rear wheel only then laying it over is the easiest way if you don't have a jack.

If you are also changing the front wheel the it is really easy. On the center stand, with a small jack under the front of the engine lift the front wheel off the ground and remove it following the instructions in the service manual.

Now let the front down onto the fork tubes, use a thin board under them to keep from scratching them. Now the rear end is high enough off the ground for you to remove the rear tire without having to jack it up any further.

Put everything back in the opposite order and you are good to go.

Henry

·
Registered
902 Posts
Will laying on the side work for tire removel if you have a 1'' lower center stand. My bike has been lowered 1'' front 3/4'' and a 1'' lowerwing prod. bracket on rear shock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts