GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install a Power Park center stand. I have the 2001-3003 service manual, but I'll be darned if I can find any guidance in it regarding R and R of the center stand.

I suspect it is a pretty simple process ( :yes: two bolts and a spring) and I hope it can be done while the bike is on the side stand otherwise I don't know how I am going to support the bike while I work on it.

Any pointers/suggestions out there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Cal WING said:
I know that one of the bolts is a left handed thread, not sure which one, but when honda did the weld job on my frame they broke it trying to get it out, had to wait about 3 weeks for another bolt
Thanks Steve. I have heard about that and will procede accordingly. I think it is the left side bolt. Find another dealer. The one that broke your bolt hires idiots! :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CD said:
John:

Where did you get the Power Park?

I once had their web site...but lost it somehow. Looking at picking one up for my 02.

CD
Hey CD:

OOPS. It is the right side bolt that is left hand. Check the link provided by "ONDA" in this topic setion. There are instructions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Installations Instruction for Pwr Pack--EASY

John,
Put bike on existing Ctr Stand.
Then put 2 inch (or larger) fender washers in between the coils of the spring.---6 to 8 should do it. (Keeps the spring from closing)
Then put the side stand down and raise the Center Stand.
This will keep the spring from recoiling and the center stand will then hang "limp".
Remove the spring from the pivot pin and stand.
Remove the two allen head screws from the stand.(1- Right; 1- Left)
(the RIGHT HAND SIDE IS THE LEFT HAND THREAD. :wink: )

The stand will drop down and away.

Set the new stand in place and reinstall studs.
Set Bike ON the new Center Stand.
Reinstall the spring and carefully remove the washers from the coils, retensioning the spring.

Done ! :lol:
( I'll check the manual for the correct torque--don' t remember right now)
Cautions:
1. Be carefull to push washers firmly into the coils to prevent the tension from closing the spring---that is tuff job to do without this help !
2. RIGHT hand side is the Left threads
3. Practice the Drive ON carefully---it's a little tricky--or don't do it !.
4. ENJOY !

Regards,
OneeyeJack
'03 Red
Arlington, Texas

:rw1:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Installations Instruction for Pwr Pack--EASY

oneeyejd said:
John,
Put bike on existing Ctr Stand.
Then put 2 inch (or larger) fender washers in between the coils of the spring.---6 to 8 should do it. (Keeps the spring from closing)
Then put the side stand down and raise the Center Stand.
This will keep the spring from recoiling and the center stand will then hang "limp".
Remove the spring from the pivot pin and stand.
Remove the two allen head screws from the stand.(1- Right; 1- Left)
(the RIGHT HAND SIDE IS THE LEFT HAND THREAD. :wink: )

The stand will drop down and away.

Set the new stand in place and reinstall studs.
Set Bike ON the new Center Stand.
Reinstall the spring and carefully remove the washers from the coils, retensioning the spring.

Done ! :lol:
( I'll check the manual for the correct torque--don' t remember right now)
Cautions:
1. Be carefull to push washers firmly into the coils to prevent the tension from closing the spring---that is tuff job to do without this help !
2. RIGHT hand side is the Left threads
3. Practice the Drive ON carefully---it's a little tricky--or don't do it !.
4. ENJOY !

Regards,
OneeyeJack
'03 Red
Arlington, Texas

:rw1:
Hi Jack:

Thanks much for the tips. Looks like you have "been there..done that". I will let you know how it goes.

8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Center Stand Torque Values

John,
The manual (pg 1-18 ) calls for the "Center Stand Pivot bolts" to be 10 MM and torqued to 40 Ft-lbs.
Loctite on each and RIGHT SIDE is Left Hand Threads. :D

OneeyeJack
Arlington Texas
AND RIDIN' today at 67 Deg !
:yes2: :rw1:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Center Stand Torque Values

oneeyejd said:
John,
The manual (pg 1-18 ) calls for the "Center Stand Pivot bolts" to be 10 MM and torqued to 40 Ft-lbs.
Loctite on each and RIGHT SIDE is Left Hand Threads. :D

OneeyeJack
Arlington Texas
AND RIDIN' today at 67 Deg !
:yes2: :rw1:
Right On Jack. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to ONDA and ONE EYE JACK for their help and tips for installing the Power Park center stand.

Jack, your tip about putting the washers between the spring coils worked like a charm. I didn't even have to use fender washers. I used about 1" dia plain flat washers. 2" fender washers would be a bit easier.

The hardest and most time consuming part of the job is R and R the center fairing and exhaust pipe covers.

The "ride off" feature of the stand is great. The "back up on it" is VERY tricky. I haven't mastered that yet and I am not sure I will. However, pulling the bike up on this stand is so easy compared to the stock stand that it is a piece of cake. Maybe I won't get a hernia now.

Thanks again. Take care. :D :yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts