GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting scratches off a windshield? Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
I use this http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4733 I have used this on bike for over a year and it's great. I started using this on my airplane windshield about 3 years ago to remove "swirls" on the windshield from the previous owner, it removed them after one application and it works great on the wing.

It takes a little bit of elbow grease to get it right but it won't bung up the windshield and it looks like it's brand new when you're done.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quickdraw at FireCreek (windbender) recommended this when I scratched my windbender. I would not recommend using step 4 (sandpaper) if you have a coated windshield. This technique worked wonders on the upper half of my windbender HP after I inadvertently dropped it on the floor. Some nasty looking scratches came out in less than thirty seconds of buffing.

1. Clean your windshield.
  2. Use a six inch buffing wheel (cotton) in your drill motor. Put a drop or two of Meguiar's #17 plastic cleaner on the scratch and polish it with the buffer.
  3. If the Meguiar's #17 doesn't get it all out, try Meguiar's #10, then use Meguiar's #17 again.
  4. If the scratch is deep and the Meguiars does not remove it use a piece of wet 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and see if you can smooth out the scratch. If you can sand the scratch out the surface will be completely milky where you sanded. Smear some of that Meguiar's #17 on the milky area and use the buffing wheel until the shield shines.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If this is a stock shiel

There is nothing that will do a great job on the factory shield because it is a coated windshield, aftermarkets these products all work well on..jmho, ymv:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
There is nothing that will do a great job on the factory shield because it is a coated windshield, aftermarkets these products all work well on..jmho, ymv:thumbup:
:agree:Once that coating is compromised it is done. BTDT.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts