GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing All Balls and have gotten to the point of getting the old bearing races out of the neck and don't have any of the Honda removal tools. I thought I'd be able to "see" more of the races but there is just a small cutout on each side of the aluminum neck where you can see the edges of the races, both top and bottom. It looks like a long screwdriver might work, tapping on each side as they are driven out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,549 Posts
I use a length of round bar, 3/8 inch in dia,about 16 inches long or so. Place the round bar on the race where the cut out is and tap lightly and the race will pop out easily.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Roadie. I got them out with the screwdriver method (similar to your method) and found that the lower race had been installed improperly... it was cocked. One of the good things about ball bearings is they can live with a bit of an untrue condition. I wonder how many bikes are worse than mine and if that could cause wobble?

Now I've got to take the steering stem to a shop and have the lower race removed and have the All Ball's race installed. This job isn't for the faint of heart. LOL

Next is a fork flush and fill, then coolant, then valves, then air cleaner. Too much fun. lol

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,549 Posts
Wanderer said:
Now I've got to take the steering stem to a shop and have the lower race removed and have the All Ball's race installed. This job isn't for the faint of heart. LOL
There's no need to go to a machine shop. I used two cyinder blocks standing on end with a piece of 2 by 4 on top to protect the paint of the steering stem. Place the steering stem on top of the cylinder blocks with the stem pointed down between the cylinder blocks and take a large flat blade screwdriver and tap on the bottom of the dust seal of the bearing evenly around the bottom of the bearing. The bearing will pop off of the steering stem easily. You will destroy the old dust seal but who cares you will be throwing them away anyways.

To put the new bearing race on the steering stem flip the steering stem over and use the old bearing race on top of the new bearing race to tap the new bearing race down on the steering stem. I used a 1 1/4 inch dia alumium pipe to slide over the steering stem and on top of the old bearing race to seat the new bearing race on the steering stem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts