GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special tool to remove the flat head trim clips? I need to remove a couple and can't pull them out with my finger nails. Any tricks to remove them?

Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Are you talking about the little push pins. ??? Some of them you push the center, that releases it, Those on the front and fairing you pull the center pin out that releases it.

I guess you could grind a groove in a pair of dykes or something and make a tool.

I just use a small screwdriver if they want to be difficult.

If talking about the flat spring steel fastener bosses, along the side trim and fairing, just push the bottom part down gently with a small screwdriver and slide it off, slide a new one on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to remove the piece above the front lower cowl. I think it is called the inner cowl. There are 2 pin head clips on the bottom that are easy to remove. The 2 on the top are call flat head pin clips. They are flat with the surface and I can't get them to pop out.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
The ones you are talking about need to have the center pushed in and then the whole thing pulls out. The fairing pocket pins are the same.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think the OP is talking about rivets that do not have a center push pin. I made a removal tool from an inexpensive pliers by grinding and filing notches as shown in the attached photo. Thanks to someone who posted this idea a few months ago (sorry I don't remember the handle).

Ron Fuller

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Very hard to get out

I have a 2006 and tried to remove them. If the head is flat with no way of really gripping anything they are the same ones I had to deal with. I used a dremel tool that had a motor with a drive cabel so you could get into small places. I used a cutoff wheel and ground the head off very slowly. I replaced them with a pin like the one in the above post. The one being held buy the pliars.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
You're right Ron, I had to go look at those. They are like a bunch that you find on cars these days. They are a pain to pry out the center without breaking it. I like the tool, nice idea. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My ATV has these things all over it. I found in my tool box a small pair of cutters (don't know the name of them) that cut from the end instead of the sides like a diagonal pair. They work on the same order as what Ron Fuller shows. These things will pop the retainer out every time.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
As mentioned above, those things are a PITA to get out. I used a set of needle nose vise grips to man handle them out. I replaced them with the higher profile version used to hold the inner side fairings on. Those are MUCH easier to install/remove and are a perfect fit. The part number for the higher (and far easier to remove) pull pins is: 91549-MW0-790ZA.

Is there a special tool to remove the flat head trim clips? I need to remove a couple and can't pull them out with my finger nails. Any tricks to remove them?

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Brian

Please keep your personal fantasies out of the thread!:twisted:

I'll be in NF,NY 8, 9, 10 July. Gimme a call...

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I'll be in NF,NY 8, 9, 10 July. Gimme a call...
Hey Bill...

Let me know your schedule and maybe this time we can hook up for a coffee... :thumbup:

I think I still have your number... xxx-xxx-3763...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts