GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking on the service manual on how to remove the windshield garnish. It shows that the mirrors must be removed to get the garnish off.

So I pulled back the boot on the mirrors and saw the nuts but how do I get at them? Anyone know what size the nuts are? Are they magnetic as it looks like they could easily be lost in the frame?

Any tips tricks photos would be greatly appreciated.

Also the prvious owner said somthing about the rubbers that hold the Tulsa windshiled from moving up and down. Can they be left on? Will I be able to still move the OEM windshiled up and down with no problems or must they be changed back also?

TIA,
John

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
You do not have to remove the mirrors to take off the garnish, they'll just twist out of your way. B.T.W. you might wanna rethink putting that O.E. shield back on. Very few like them, neither do I. There are a lot of better choices for a shield out there, but it's your bike. Terry

·
Registered
568 Posts
Fold the mirrors out of the way, either forwards or backwards, whichever works best for you, then the most important part:- stuff a cloth or rag down into the recess below the bolts that hold the garnish on, this way if you do drop one it will not disappear forever into the fairing.

Then remove the bolts and the grommets, carefully pull the ends of the garnish clear of the lugs and then carefully pull the garnish clear of the grommets that locate it on the fairing.
There are two near the top outer corners of the garnish and two at the bottom between the headlights.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teaser 1 said:
You do not have to remove the mirrors to take off the garnish, they'll just twist out of your way. B.T.W. you might wanna rethink putting that O.E. shield back on. Very few like them, neither do I. There are a lot of better choices for a shield out there, but it's your bike. Terry
I happen to love the OEM windshield :lol: I do not like looking through anything when I ride. With the OEM shield I can leave it about chin level and still be in a buffer free zone.

HMM never new the mirrors would be moved like that and this is my 3rd 1800.

Ok so I move the mirrors forward and took of the bolt on each side that holds the garnish panel. Then tried to pull the top out forward. It will not bugde? In my manual it says to remove therubber mounts? Are those the rubbers under the bolt head? After I pull them out do I have to gently pry the tab over the rubber boss?
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
568 Posts
When you peel back the rubber boots around the mirrors you will see the bolts that hold the garnish, they go in sideways through the endplates of the garnish, there is a bolt, a washer then a rubber grommet.

When you get the garnish off you will see on either side of the bike just behind where the garnish bolts were there is also a nut on a bolt pointing up at a 45 degree angle towards the front of the bike, this needs to be removed to remove the windshield holder bar. There is also a small bolt at the bottom front of the windshield holder that needs to come out.

When you replace the windshield holder you must make sure that the lugs on the swivel plates at the ends of the holder sit on top of the corresponding lugs on the fairing.

Hope this makes sense, I have a copy of the dealer setup manual that gives a really good explanation of all this, do you want me to e-mail you a copy?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goldwingrider.steve said:
When you peel back the rubber boots around the mirrors you will see the bolts that hold the garnish, they go in sideways through the endplates of the garnish, there is a bolt, a washer then a rubber grommet.

When you get the garnish off you will see on either side of the bike just behind where the garnish bolts were there is also a nut on a bolt pointing up at a 45 degree angle towards the front of the bike, this needs to be removed to remove the windshield holder bar. There is also a small bolt at the bottom front of the windshield holder that needs to come out.

When you replace the windshield holder you must make sure that the lugs on the swivel plates at the ends of the holder sit on top of the corresponding lugs on the fairing.

Hope this makes sense, I have a copy of the dealer setup manual that gives a really good explanation of all this, do you want me to e-mail you a copy?
Ok got the Tulsa off and put on the OEM no problem. BUT apparently the Tulsa winshield had thicker rubber attached to the fairing, so the OEM would not slide at all. So I pealed off the thicker foam or rubber and found somthing that looked like electrical tape underneath, which also came off when I pulled the Tulse foam off. This was on two other slides. The rest of the inner slide bars looks to have the electrical tape on them.

I suspect that the elctrical tape looking stuff was the OEM honda slide tape. Now for the sections where the tape came off when I peeled off the Tulsa foam could I just use electrical tape in its place or do I have to order the tape from Honda?

See number 9 on the diagram if you do not understand what I'm talking about:
http://www.angelfire.com/il3/twins/Slide_tape.JPG

TIA,
John

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry, John, I can't help you with those pieces of tape, my 03 doesn't have anything like that, I have had a look at my parts fiche and they are only listed from the 04 model onwards.
I would suggest you get some new tape pieces, they are quite cheap on the Bike Bandit site.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, John, I can't help you with those pieces of tape, my 03 doesn't have anything like that, I have had a look at my parts fiche and they are only listed from the 04 model onwards.
I would suggest you get some new tape pieces, they are quite cheap on the Bike Bandit site.
Just found out that the tapw was only part of the problem. I could not get the OEM shield to move up or down. So I called the PO who installed the Tulsa and he told me part of the Tulsa install kit was a 1/8" rubber seal that fit between the shield and the dash. The oem piece is paperthing and made out of somthing like plastic or teflon. So the oem piece must be orederd also.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Steve,

I think I might take you up on your offer on the dealer install instructions my email addy is [email protected]

Steve or anyone else please read below:

As mentioned when I bought my bike it had the Tulsa shield on it. Since this was my 1st venture into the windshield area I did not know what was OEM and what were the Tulsa added items.

It turns out that when the Tulsa windshield is installed a THICK rubber weather stripping is installed in between the Tulsa shield and front of the bikes dash. The other items added are two thick rubber pieces that are glued onto the existing 2 outer wear bars on each side of the inner fairings face.

I found out that those bars should just be covered with a extremely thin piece of plastic tape as well as the piece between the windshield and the front of the dash.

So after a few hours or cleaning to get off all the left over cement that held this Tulsa stuff its all off. I went looking for the OEM Honda tape today but no local dealers carried it. So it was ordered and should be here in a week or so.

So while I'm waiting I just put the bike back toghter (Winter is here and no more riding anyway). The OEM windshield is still extremely hard to move. It may be becuse the OEM plastic tape is missing but I also noticed that the outer slots on each side of the windshield where the OVAL metal piece fits with a bolt w/ plastic washer go moved when I moved the window.

Are those bolts supposed to be installed loose? I ask as I installed loose as a test and the windshield worked like it should but still a little stiff (I suspect because the plastic slide tape is still missing) But it I tightened down the bolts with the plastic washers that go between the bolt head and the Oval insert the window will not budge even though they tighten down to metal sliders that ride in a channel in the inner fairing.

Looking at it, it should work? All gum has been removed from all the surfaces that the Tulsa stuff was applied to. So this only thing that I can think of is those outer bolts with the plastic washers should not be tightened down?????????????

Help??
John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts