GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the previous model bikes, the trim piece that covered the screws on the gloveboxes removed by pushing it to one side which released little plastic tabs under it so it could be lifted off.

On the 2012, this trim piece is totally different, and I don't yet have a manual. Can anyone tell me how it comes off, I'm afraid to force it since I don't know what holds it in place.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It is basically the same, start at the top, the bottom is secured with tabs that snap into place.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
It is basically the same, start at the top, the bottom is secured with tabs that snap into place.
I wouldn't start at the top! If the 2012 is the same, you need to start at the bottom as there is a tab on the upper end that goes "forward" into the fairing. Starting at the upper end can cause tab breakage, IMHO.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in case anyone else has this question, here are some photos of the new trim panel removed. Note that the bottom piece now includes part of lower black part below the switch panel and has two studs clips that fit in place. There also is a tab at the top that fit in toward the front of the bike, so you probably shouldn't start at the top unless you first push DOWN on the trim panel to release this top tab.

Top Tab

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Aren't you going to ride it just a little before you disassemble it!?!??........I guess NOT!!:shock:;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
On the previous model bikes, the trim piece that covered the screws on the gloveboxes removed by pushing it to one side which released little plastic tabs under it so it could be lifted off.

On the 2012, this trim piece is totally different, and I don't yet have a manual. Can anyone tell me how it comes off, I'm afraid to force it since I don't know what holds it in place.
Gotta ask? New to forum but Ive noticed you have ask alot of questions about the 2012. Are you the same Fred that is in the maintenance dvd links, or you just have the same first name?

·
Registered
713 Posts
The removal procedure for the side trim, back center fender, and maybe something else I've forgotten are now in the owners manual.

I read on the board that the service manual for the 2012 is available from Helm if you call them, but it's not on their website yet.

I asked my dealer to order one for me.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Aren't you going to ride it just a little before you disassemble it!?!??........I guess NOT!!:shock:;)
He's the boy who broke the toy to find out why it worked.

·
Registered
453 Posts
when I did the 12 volt mod and took out the storage area, I did not have to completly remove the faring trim at the bottom. Just disconnecting it from the top and middle was enough to remove the pocket.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i watched the video and could not get the trim off as shown. but as soo as i popped the corner pins on the glove box and it loosened up, the molding released easily.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have removed mine on several ocassions by first popping out the bottom outside corner.. the rest popped out easily afterwards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts