GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the two 5MM hex bolts out of the middle oval?

I put a 5mm Allen wrench in there, turned, and promptly turned the hexes into circles. The bolts are extremely soft and are turned in way too tight.

I'd hate to have to drill them out.

Every nut, bolt, or screw I've touched on this bike is in way too tight.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were 5mm. I had to destroy the bolts to get them out.

Why couldn't they just use the same fasteners they used on the two outer ovals?

I scrounged around in the garage and found a suitable substitute. I won't need to remove the windshield again. I'm very happy with the new WindBender.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,478 Posts
The dealer installs those when he sets up the bike for delivery. I wonder where he got the 5 mm bolts since this is the parts list for the windshield part of the setup:

According to the 2012 setup instructions, there aren't any 5mm head bolts used anywhere on the bike for delivery. :shrug: Anyway, congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thread is 6mm, but the required allen wrench is a 5mm.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Nobody knows anything about servicing the 2012 model yet. Those who buy this model are the pioneers when they take the bike apart. There are undoubtedly similarities to the older bikes, but we don't know where those similarities are.

On the earlier bikes, they are not put in too tight. The bolts are designed to bite into the metal and lock the bolt in place. It takes a lot more force to remove those bolts than it did to put them in. It's actually really amazing how hard it is to get those bolts off even after installing them with very little torque. That's a good thing. It means they won't fall out.

Most of us work on our own bikes, but Honda did not design it to be user serviceable. They are not overly concerned about making the bike easy for the customer to work on. When you work on your bike, you are not the owner. You become the mechanic. It is the mechanic's job to deal with issues like that.

·
Vendor
18,141 Posts
Those and most trim/panel bolts have no torque spec. If there was one, it would be 7 lbs or less. Sorry to hear yours are over tight. You may have to drill them out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
could you possible notch the head with a dremel to allow removal with a medium to large straight slot screwdriver?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Same guy who puts on the oil filter???:joke:

I put a 5mm Allen wrench in there, turned, and promptly turned the hexes into circles. The bolts are extremely soft and are turned in way too tight.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
could you possible notch the head with a dremel to allow removal with a medium to large straight slot screwdriver?
Just put a short dark colored shield on last night..And that is just what I had to do also..Only thing differant was I got my center screws out..It was the single screws on each outside oval that gave way on mine..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Didn't have any problem installing the F4 +4" screen on my 2012. I also installed the rear brake spoiler, luggage rack, passenger armrests, Superbrace (for airbag), CB antenna, master ground block, auxiliary power adapter (cigarette lighter), and the J&M passenger audio control yesterday. This morning, I installed the LED fog lights (with switch in the audio console) but couldn't find the four-cable socket supposedly hiding behind the panel in the final step (the fog lights look good though :lol: ).

I also planned to install a Wig Wag brake modulator today but discovered the 2012 doesn't have any trunk trim like the previous year models, so I wasn't sure how to remove the lower trunk cover (the rear end is completely different so I'll need to wait until a service manual is available)...

J.D.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tennessee, The windshield is installed at the dealership. Do not blame the factory people for that. They probably have some kid installing the seat, mirrors, AM/FM antenna, seat and backrest at the dealership. You need to go there and complain to the manager or owner. They may be a little sympathetic and at least give you new hardwear to reinstall with.:shrug::frown::frown:

·
Registered
818 Posts

May I ask why you're removing the windshield on a bike only a month old?

Also, I see you're from Corbin; I was born and raised in Pikeville; really closer to Feds Creek, KY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts