GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visiting Hawaii, particularly Pearl Harbor is on my "bucket list". I may try to rent a Gold Wing and do some touring for a day or two while we're there. Any suggestions? Right now it looks as if we may be there in the middle of January.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Found these Eaglerider locations... I think they rent wings:

2463 S. Kihei Rd C-14
KIHEI, HI 96753
Toll Free: 877-351-9666
Phone: 808-667-7000
Fax: 808-661-1181

30 Halawai Drive A-3
Lahaina, HI 96761
Toll Free: 877-351-9666
Phone: 808-667-7000
Fax: 808-661-1181

818 Iwilei Rd
Honolulu, HI 96815
Toll Free: (800) 825-9649
Phone: 808-537-5761
Fax: 808-533-0967

·
Registered
999 Posts
We were there a year ago and rented a car instead. Be aware that the streets make no sense at all and can get congested. We took our Garmin along and found it to be a valuable asset.

Pearl Harbor, for us, was the best part of the island. Be sure you also tour the Missourri, amazing ship. The boat ride to the Arizona is free but you need a ticket and you need to get there early or be prepared to wait. The MO tour is not free but well worth the price of a ticket. We ended up signing up for the tour at our hotel and they picked us up in the morning at the hotel and took us to the Pearl Harbor exhibit, Missourri ship tour and Punch Bowl. Nice way to see everything and let someone else drive :thumbup:

The last day we were there we drove up to the North Shore to see the gigantic waves w/surfers and toured the Dole Plantation on the way back, fun day for sure.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My wife and I were there in July .. the only thing we could find to rent was a Harley Road King (found in downtown Honolulu - a touristy thing). Rented it for a day and rode the island .. $250.00 + taxes per day. Worth every penny .. enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
714 Posts
We went to Hawaii last year. Rented a Goldwing from Gary at WingTourshawaii.com.

Be sure to give him a call. He is great.

Note, the island only takes about 4 hours to ride comletely around once as it is about 137 miles on the perimeter.

Good luck. Take pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I went to Hawaii last fall. We didn't get to rent a cycle to tour the island, but we had looked in to doing it, I'd found the contact info for the WingTourshawaii.

We spent our 1st full day at Pearl, if time would have allowed we could have spent another day there easily. As Jon Roberts said in his post, get there early, and be prepared to wait some, just relax and remember, your in Hawaii.

We stayed with a friend who lived northwest of Honolulu, and they took us around the island. The streets in Honolulu are odd.

When you look for small things to bring back, go the the swap meet they have on parking lot of the Pro Bowl stadium.

PM me if you'd like some more information.

Doug

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Hawaii is great by motorcycle. Just make sure your head is covered 'cause that is a mean sun over there (don't ask me how I know, lol).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Bob, You have received lots of good suggestions. I know you'll enjoy Hawaii. I traveled there frequently before retirement and visited all the sites mentioned plus a few more that aren't on the "Tourist List".

Touring around the Island (Oahu) is easy, you can't get lost.

Have fun, Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wing tours Hawaii. Gary. The best place to rent a wing. He will provide a list of must see places, good places to eat, ect. I think for an additional fee, he will be your guide.

A word of warning: Honolulu traffic is terrible, bumper to bumper. Rush hour starts around 3 pm. Plan your riding around rush hour, morning and evening.

Outside of Honolulu, the riding is spectacular. The North Shore in January has massive waves. Speed limit on most of the island is 45. Freeways around Honolulu are 60.

The absolute best way to do Pearl Harbor is a tour. There are activities desks in most hotels. Purchase a ticket from them, and the bus will pick you up, do the tour, and drop you off again. The tour we purchased was called "The Stars and Stripes Tour" The tour buses go early in the morning so you are first in line to get in.

Another great activity is whale watching tours. Jan-Mar is whale watching season. Take a boat called Navatek. A specially designed boat that you do not feel any wave action. Very stable and much more enjoyable than a standard hull boat. Price of tour also includes lunch.

If you are staying on Waikiki, you do not need to rent a car! Parking is limited, and you can walk to anything you want faster than you can drive. Traffic again.

Use the city bus system if you need to get around. Cheap and very well organized.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts